A few rants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Road Tax/ V.E.D. To operate a motor vehicle on British roads, one of the things you need is to pay a duty (‘tax’). It is a tax to use said vehicle on the road legally i.e. a ‘road tax’ – nothing to do with the upkeep of the roads!

The English language is ever-changing and we use expressions that have either lost their original meanings or have changed definitions. 30 years ago, you would have been happy to be mugged but these days you would not be!

My daughters and grandchildren use the expression ‘a few bob’ to mean ‘a small amount of money’; all of them were not born when we had £.s.d.! Should I correct them? No and I do not correct my wife for saying the ‘50p shop’ when it is a 60 Baht shop here in Bangkok!

Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear. If you do not like the presenter or the programme, why are you watching it? Are you too lazy to either switch off or change the channel?

Daily Mail There have been a lot of threads complaining about the contents of the Daily Mail but no-one admits to buying it or reading it so how do you get the information? Is someone reading it to you as you reading skills are low?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Daily Mail There have been a lot of threads complaining about the contents of the Daily Mail but no-one admits to buying it or reading it so how do you get the information? Is someone reading it to you as you reading skills are low?

I'm not so sure about that, there were at least 6 folks on here who owned up to buying the Mail in last month's poll! (I'm sure they hide it within a copy of Razzle to avoid embarrasment at the newsagents though!) :biggrin:

See....

http://www.cyclechat...-do-ccers-read/

Adasta

Are you implying that by reading something the reader is in some way invested in, or linked to, the document's content?

I've read plenty of Daily Mail articles, enough to know I don't want to read the whole newspaper!

Well, we could add the odd wind-up of our own. Like: why does an individual who's chosen to set up domicile in a remote country (where presumably they don't have road tax), choose to have a go at us about what we call the British tax disc/VED? Amd why does an individual who's chosen to set up domicile in a remote country (where presumably they drive a lot worse than we do) have a go at us, about whether we choose to watch or not to watch a British TV programme, produced and broadcast in Britain with British actors, which may or may not influence British driving standards?

Etc. etc....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like this idea of "Rant Consolidation".

Instead of every rant having its own thread, they are handily brought together in a sort of "plat du jour" of irritation. This is going to catch on, believe it.

I like this idea of "Rant Consolidation".

Instead of every rant having its own thread, they are handily brought together in a sort of "plat du jour" of irritation. This is going to catch on, believe it.
Me too. But I'm afraid I have too many rants all told. I'd end up filling up the first 37 pages of this thread single-handed :blush:. What I'm concentrating on, at the moment, are a specific species of rant, namely anti-expat rants.

Which is odd, seeing as "some of my best friends are....." etc. etc..... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom