A Great Idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a great idea. Well done that young man.
thumbsup.png

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
A small transmitter chip inserted into the handlebar/seatpost would be a great idea. I wonder how quick car manufacturers would be on the uptake though?

zacklaws

Guru
What if you don't have your radio on though? Bah Humbug
rolleyes.gif

Not only that but if your radio is on, what frequency? what if it only transmits on FM but your listening to AM or SW?

Surely its not going to bleep on all frequencies and wavelengths at the same time.

What about multiple cyclists all riding as individuals spaced out, does the motorist presume the cyclist he has just passed is the one bleeping, so ignores the fact there may be another cyclist further up the road and round the corner?

Does not sound that clever to me and could even cause accidents, but there may be more to it than meets the eye that has not been published.

Just found out that there may be more to it, it sends an audible and visual warning, but to satnavs as well as radio's

martint235

Dog on a bike
I assume it uses the RDS system to change the frequency of the radio to the desired channel to emit the bleep then just changes back.

I've not really seen RDS used in the UK much but in Austria it used to be used frequently to alert drivers to "ghosts". I spent a bit of time in Austria in the mid-90s and it seemed to be a rite of passage to ghost drive the wrong way down motorways. You'd get a broadcast over your radio saying "Ghost driver on the A1 between whereever, please pull in to the right hand lane" and all the cars would pull across while the ghost (and pursuing police) went past.

Fiona N

Veteran
What if you don't have your radio on though? Bah Humbug
rolleyes.gif

Didn't the article say there was interest from a navigational aids company? If so I assume that the signal could also be displayed in some manner on the sat nav as well.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
[QUOTE 1264021"]
Far better would be some kind of ultrasonic transmitter you could aim at a rogue car which would melt the driver's left ear drum.
[/quote]

That is totally irresponsible. Do that and his glasses would fall off which could be dodgy when driving. :biggrin:

Back to the OP.

I have to admire the young lads efforts but think it is seriously flawed. Imagine your in your car stuck in traffic trying to chill out listening to music and your radio squwacks every time a bike filters past. If it works on the RDS system it will cut in regardless of what your listening to.

Top Bottom