a-head headset on '80s racer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Busted my forks on an old oversized bike. Can't find new forks to fit (ie, long enough). Would it be technically possible to use a newer 1 1/8" a-head threadless type fork, if I fitted an a-head headset? Could that work?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
yes. it will work fine. You'll need a suitable stem as well though ;)

Tharg2007

Veteran
i doubt an 80s racer will be 1 1/18 so you will most likely need to find some 1" forks if not threaded then a head, most prob carbon and it will be expensive

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for replies. So, 1 1/8" forks will/won't fit a bike that was built to take 1" forks? So could I/I couldn't (by buying an a-head headset) fit, say, this, to my old Benotto?

Tharg2007

Veteran
yes, might be a cheaper option as the 1" carbon ones go for a fair bit especially if they have plenty of steerer tube left.
I recon these might go for about 20 squids

swee, measure your old forks steerer length and also the threaded length.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks muchly. I have to say anything north of about £20 just won't get past the eagle eyes of 'er indores. It's not like I need this bike...I just want to have a go at this fixed gear bidniss. The Tange looks perfect - except..... I need a riser stem of at least 23cm. Like I say, this is a seriously oversize frame. Stems that length are bastard hard to find. But like I say, many thanks. You have, whatever else, confirmed that my Plan B is, as usual, kaput!

swee said:
need[/I] this bike...I just want to have a go at this fixed gear bidniss. The Tange looks perfect - except..... I need a riser stem of at least 23cm. Like I say, this is a seriously oversize frame. Stems that length are bastard hard to find. But like I say, many thanks. You have, whatever else, confirmed that my Plan B is, as usual, kaput!

Do you mean steerer? The tube attached to the fork crown which fits up through the head tube?

Tharg2007

Veteran
well the tange has 20.5 cm of tube but its threaded so you dont need the same lenght you would with ahead, so check your other forks and measure for comparison. Would look much nicer for a benotto fixie to have proper threaded forks in chrome. you can also get some benotto stickers on fleabay, i seen them.

Oh, and if SWMBO puts the stops on your little operation I would buy the frame off you if its a largish one :tongue:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again. I'm afraid 20.5cm just ain't gonna do it. This is a mother of a frame - 25" - and a 20.5 stem just wouldn't reach the top of the head tube. Thanks for the link Badger - they don't list any but like you say I'll drop 'em a line.

Thanks for the offer Tharg, but I plan to stay with this a while longer. It's a lovely frame and will I suspect make a cracking fixie. If I can only find some forks! Onward!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
PS. Got onto that site.

"I wish i did as the demand is considerable.
I am sorry I don't have any."

Back to the drawing board...

Top Bottom