1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A micro tour

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by ransos, 24 Aug 2015.

1. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

So, I'd been wanting to take my eldest daughter on a micro adventure for ages, and with school starting next month, now seemed as good a time as any. The plan: cycle from Bristol to Yatton, have lunch, then take the Strawberry line to Cheddar where we would camp for the night. Then ride back the next day.

1. The grand depart. Micro Ransos was trying to get in on the action but will have to wait a year or two. All the camping gear fitted surprisingly easily into two panniers and the boot in the trailer.
    2. The Strawberry Line near Congresbury. The path is great on a hot summer's day and a boggy, slippy nightmare in the wet. The usual Sustrans fare, really.
    3. Setting up at Petruth Paddocks in Cheddar. A great, no frills campsite. Shortly after this photo, we had a truly biblical thunderstorm which turned most of the field into a lake.

4. So the only sensible thing to do was retire to the pub for some tea.

Post-tea, the rain cleared and we were able to build a fire and toast marshmallows. Then it rained for the whole night, so the ride back was abandoned and my wife came to pick us up.

We're already planning our next adventure...
  2. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

High Shields
    Great Pictures ransos!

PS you must have calf muscles like an indian 'coolie' towing the family
  3. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

On 3 Wheels
  4. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Irlam (Salford)
  5. Ganymede

Ganymede Veteran

Rural Kent
    That is SO BRILLIANT. Thanks for posting about it.
  6. Aunty Tyke

Aunty Tyke Well-Known Member

:okay: What a fun adventure! Hope it's dry next time!
  7. Excellent.

Far better than reading about helmets...which I will wear from now on...

And you showed fish and chips which is what I miss most about England.
  8. marknotgeorge

marknotgeorge Hol den Vorschlaghammer!

She looks perilously close to finishing her pint before her chips.
    Last edited: 26 Sep 2015
    Subotai72 and BrumJim like this.
  9. Jayaly

Jayaly Senior Member

That looks like amazing fun. You have me wondering about the possibility of doing something similar. What sort of tent and equipment did you carry? All my camping experience is of the 'stuff everything in the car' variety.
  10. gavintc

gavintc Guru

A great adventure for you and your daughter. It is experiences like this which she will remember.
    ransos likes this.
  11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Micro tourism is superb. I had a thoroughly great night away in St Ives last summer - rode there via Sandy and back via Cambridge, and a night in the pub with a fun but dreadful band!
    ransos likes this.
  12. OP

ransos Legendary Member

I dug out an ancient 3-man Eurohike tent that I'm pretty sure last saw service at Glastonbury a decade ago: it did an admirable job of keeping the torrential rain out. I borrowed two light weight thermarests, then there were two sleeping bags and inflatable pillows. No cooking equipment - we ate out and took snacks for the following morning. Other than that it was just toiletries, travel towels, spare clothes, bike tools and some toys and books.

As you say, it's quite a change from car camping - our main tent weighs about 40kg!
    Jayaly likes this.
  13. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Around and about
    @ransos it's no good now, but let me know if you do that again, I live in the estate right next to Petruth paddocks! There are always loads of cyclists using the site, it's pretty much the only in Cheddar now since the take of the holiday park where Broadway House used to be. The Strawberry Line is still being talked about being extended from Yatton through to Wells, which would be great for me, it would make a less dodgy commute than riding the A 371!
    ransos likes this.
  14. OP

ransos Legendary Member

Thread bump as I repeated the trip this weekend, with my younger daughter.

Panniers were loaded, the tent strapped to the back of the Weehoo, and off we went. Micro Ransos says "We're having a bit of an adventure, aren't we daddy!", closely followed by "Are we nearly there yet?". The Festival Way through Long Ashton was a total PITA with the Weehoo as the barriers were too tight, and I managed to get completely wedged at one point. We came back on the main road instead. Lunch at the Strawberry Line Cafe, and we arrived at the campsite in good time and good spirits. Tea was taken at the pub in town, then back to the campsite for toasted marshmallows. We had a damp start the next morning, but the rain soon cleared and we enjoyed a tailwind most of the way home. IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5017.JPG
    Jayaly, Alan O, Smeggers II and 5 others like this.
  15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

On 3 Wheels
    Who's is the washing machine drum.