A Post Coronavirus World According To Cycle Chat Members.

HMS_Dave

As the title says.

I just want to add a different side to the discussion than the ones that exists elsewhere. Not necessarily about the virus itself but the world after, assuming the virus has been defeated. Lets see where it goes, plenty of dangers with this one though about where the discussion could end up, but i won't mention them for now.

So a few questions and ideas to kick things off...

Do we aim to get things back on track as before? Do we change our direction and how? By what measure(s)? Politically there may not be the motivation, but what about the people? Often times of turmoil in history has changed the way people think. On a personal level, i think differently about my life and the things around me since this viral outbreak this year and i know a few others that do too. What would you like to see different if anything? What if you were PM (or leader in your country)?

I think it has shown that there has been an over reliance on buying in from abroad and not manufacturing things for ourselves . The idea that we can buy it cheaply from elsewhere doesn't always mean that the quality is the same . We should re invest in our own manufacturing base as this epidemic has shown that other countries have adopted a self preservation attitude .

The thing that has so far upset me most over this is seeing the mass burials of these poor people who didn't have money or family to give them a proper burial. It brought me to tears watching them being moved by forklifts and then put in cheap wooden boxes in a massive hole in the ground. These were living, breathing, feeling human beings. I find the inequality in the world really hard to stomach. How we can change that, I don't know 😢

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Everything will return to how it was a few weeks ago. People will forget how different life was and go back to their usual daily life. Of course everyone will reminisce about how friendly everyone was but will do nothing more than that.

There are many, many lessons to be learned but as a society we will learn nothing. To choose some of my personal favourites.
  • Everyone will smile, be courteous and stand back for one and other
  • We would continue to value those who everyone loves to describe as "key workers" in hushed and reverent tones
  • We would be prepared to pay more for goods and services so key workers can earn a decent living wage
  • We would understand we have to increase taxation to pay for every aspect of health and social care which our society needs.
  • Pollution levels across the world are plummeting. Society would accept and understand with proper attention we can very rapidly allow our planet to heal itself. We would accept we have to pay for this through lifestyle changes, higher cost of goods and taxation
  • It would be good to know the value of everything and the price of nothing
  • Buying locally grown produce to support local farmers, growers, farm shops, retailers. Then perhaps my local farm shop can look forward to selling out in three hours on a Friday morning the stock he bought in for three days. This would happen every Friday and not just when Tesco can't cope locally.
  • More people will work from home
  • Pigs will fly in low formation by my bedroom window every morning

raleighnut

Guru
Everything will return to how it was a few weeks ago. People will forget how different life was and go back to their usual daily life. Of course everyone will reminisce about how friendly everyone was but will do nothing more than that.

There are many, many lessons to be learned but as a society we will learn nothing. To choose some of my personal favourites.
  • We would continue to value those who everyone loves to describe as "key workers" in hushed and reverent tones
  • We would be prepared to pay more for goods and services so key workers can earn a decent living wage
  • We would understand we have to increase taxation to pay for every aspect of health and social care which our society needs.
  • Pollution levels across the world are plummeting. Society would accept and understand with proper attention we can very rapidly allow our planet to heal itself. We would accept we have to pay for this through lifestyle changes, higher cost of goods and taxation
  • Buying locally grown produce to support local farmers, growers, farm shops, retailers. Then perhaps my local farm shop can look forward to selling out in three hours on a Friday morning the stock he bought in for three days. This would happen every Friday and not just when Tesco can't cope locally.
Yep we have a great opportunity to change the way we live but sadly I'm sure things will be back to how they were before. :sad:

I for one have been enjoying the peace and quiet (despite shattering it a bit with the stereo)

Slick

Guru

Unfortunately, I can only agree.

My personal wish would be that we did learn something, especially that everything we do, does have an impact on our environment right down to our purchasing options, but like you, I fear it will never happen as I suspect large numbers of us are in the main very selfish and then there is still substantial numbers that feel they can't afford to pay more for home grown products. I think it will take a long time to recover from this, so won't go back to all our bad habits for a while, but eventually we will.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Will we learn anything...I suspect we'll be far too busy blaming and arguing to really make any worthwhile changes.

Humans are far too self centred and selfish to actually change unless they gain financially.

Lot's of nice decent people will be disgusted with the next few months activities.

We basically live for now and always will

matticus

Further down the news, we have footballers bleating about not getting their salaries in full. Makes me wonder if we're all living in the same world.
I think that's a massive distortion of what has happened around football. I guess this sort of malicious comment is something that will continue - picking out whole groups of people and blaming/criticising them :sad:

I can see the construction industry increasing the pace of automation, with modular and off-site becoming more common. Factories were hit hard in the days running up to the closedown with staff just not showing up. Combining Covid 19 with the impact Brexit was having on skilled manpower means we're going to see a lot of change in my sector.

Top Bottom