England : East Sussex A quiet ride in East Sussex, Sept 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
This ride begins in Etchingham and ends in Hastings. It’s a little over 40 miles, and a good deal of it is flat, though it doesn’t start out that way. Peaceful country lanes for the most part. It includes the Cuckoo Trail, brought to you by the Beeching Axe. There’s also some offroad along the St Leonards beach. Probably starting 9.30-10.00. Will be cancelled or date moved if the weather is too disagreeable. No big lunch stop.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The Saturday earlier or later and I'm free.

Ah well. Nice part of the world.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not impossible - I'm in Guildford the previous night (albeit touring a brewery).

Is the Cuckoo Trail a gravelly, sandy one? Is (low) speed a problem?

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Is the Cuckoo Trail a gravelly, sandy one? Is (low) speed a problem?

It’s paved, though there are stretches, particularly at the beginning, with debris – twigs, leaves, etc. I rode it (especially slowly at the beginning because of people walking dogs) on a skinny-tyred road bike without a problem.

Speaking of gravel, towards the end we’ll have about a mile of this:

sL1GVdI.jpg

Hmmm, interested.

I was hoping you might be tempted as well.

Just to expand on what I meant by a good deal of the route being flat, we’re talking 26+ miles of very easy riding. The first 14 miles are somewhat less flat.

qaEIneQ.jpg

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OK. I shall pencil it in. If I do come, would I be forgiven for bringing an old, fairly heavy hardtail MTB with slickish tyres and holding everyone else back a bit? Practical reasons to do with clearing out of Guildford rather than sensible ones.

Google maps suggests a train line from Hastings to the start - I take it that's not wrong.

We are considering this, subject to diary commitments. I've ridden parts of the Cuckoo Trail (on road bikes) going to from Enigma in Hailsham via Polegate station, and would like to ride more of it.

Adam has wondered if Eastbourne has any potential as a FNRttC destination so would also like to ride the Cuckoo Trail.

(The main obstacle for an FNRttC so far has been lack of success in finding a suitable halfway stop. No matter how lovely the route, we can't do it without a willing crew and venue at roughly the right place. Any suggestions welcome!

Sorry for the thread hijack - as you were!)

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
OK. I shall pencil it in. If I do come, would I be forgiven for bringing an old, fairly heavy hardtail MTB with slickish tyres and holding everyone else back a bit? Practical reasons to do with clearing out of Guildford rather than sensible ones.

Google maps suggests a train line from Hastings to the start - I take it that's not wrong.

That sounds like a perfectly good bike for this ride. Feel free to hold us back, if we’re not already busy holding you back.

The Hastings-London line does indeed stop at Etchingham, until recently manned by the bestest station manager in the SE [Exhibit A].

We are considering this, subject to diary commitments. I've ridden parts of the Cuckoo Trail (on road bikes) going to from Enigma in Hailsham via Polegate station, and would like to ride more of it.

Although I’ve lived in the area for quite a while, I hadn’t gone on the Cuckoo Trail until last week; as a confirmed roadie, it didn’t appeal. In fact it took me several attempts to even make it out of Heathfield, so unnerved was I by pedestrians politely stepping aside to let me pass and happy toddlers locomoting themselves in the dappled sunlight. But I persevered, thinking a change of pace might be nice. It was.

vR8lNjE.jpg

Stock image of happy toddler. Appropriate theme music.

I ran into an old guy at the trailhead who may or may not have been disappointed that my singlespeed isn’t fixed (and who was very surprised to learn that there’s somebody just down the road who makes titanium frames). I’m forever running into old guys who immediately look down at my drivetrain and say “Is it fixed?”, with a wistful look in their eye and stories about long ago time trials.

Etchingham is difficult for me to get to so, assuming you're planning a circuitous route (as Etch-Hast direct is a mere 20 miles or so), maybe I could meet you en route somewhere not too far from a station on the Lewes line?

The route is in the shape of a sloppy C. Although we won’t be going through Polegate, the Lewes line does, and the station isn’t far from the southern terminus of the Cuckoo Trail. You could if you wish ride it as far north as you fancy (we veer off the trail a little less than 2 miles north of Polegate; bear in mind that it’s only about 15 miles from the end of the route at this point) and we’d meet you along the way.

When we get to Hastings there’s a fine cafe at the Stade in the old town which I’m planning to visit, if anyone’s interested and assuming we get there before it closes, which we should, even with pleasurable dawdling. There is also, as you might expect, a ready supply of fish and chips in this part of the world.

41s78qa.jpg

And retired pirates.
Speaking of which, I have this excellent looking book on arrrrrrrr-der

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Adam has wondered if Eastbourne has any potential as a FNRttC destination so would also like to ride the Cuckoo Trail.

The main obstacle for an FNRttC so far has been lack of success in finding a suitable halfway stop. No matter how lovely the route, we can't do it without a willing crew and venue at roughly the right place. Any suggestions welcome!
How about asking the Step & Learn people if they'd do the same at a different village hall
https://goo.gl/maps/FsBydVTL9P42
is a route - past three village halls. The hire charge would be an issue but we'd overcome that.

Apols for thread hijack @velovoice . This chat will continue on Friday night.
As you were.

Last edited:
Top Bottom