A right triple whammy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louise

A few days ago I developed a heavy cold, which then set my asthma offxx(

Last night I started to feel more unwell and developed left sided chest pain so I headed down to my local walk in clinic was given a diagnosis of a right sided chest infection and left sided pleurisy:cursing:.

So I am now drugged up to the hilt on nebulisers, inhalers, prednisolonexx(;), strong painkillers and strong anti biotics:angry:

And if I am no better by Friday then its off on holiday to the costa del NHS

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds nasty... get well soon!

col

Legendary Member
Blimey you dont do anything by halfs do you?Chill and chill ,then chill some more,hope your well soon.

Chris James

Über Member
I feel your pain. I recently had a chest infection that kicked off my (fairly new to me) asthma. I ended up with half my normal peak flow.

I was put on amoxicillin, prednisolone and my first brown inhaler. Everything then cleared up (except for chronic indigestion due to the amoxicillin). A week after the steroid tablets finished I came out in an allergic rash which covered me from head to foot.

So now I was on loads of piriton, but the rash got worse so I knocked the brown inhaler on the head as I appeared to be allergic to that, and went back on steroid tablets. The rash eventually cleared up but by now the asthma was back!

Now I have a powder 'brown' inhaler which seems to be working well - at least I haven't been wheezing despite having had bad cold and sinusitis!

I am normally quite healthy, but my youngest has just started at nursery and is picking up (and transmitting) viruses like they are going out of fashion.

Edit - I forgot to say, get well soon!

Chris James said:
I feel your pain. I recently had a chest infection that kicked off my (fairly new to me) asthma. I ended up with half my normal peak flow.

I was put on amoxicillin, prednisolone and my first brown inhaler. Everything then cleared up (except for chronic indigestion due to the amoxicillin). A week after the steroid tablets finished I came out in an allergic rash which covered me from head to foot.

So now I was on loads of piriton, but the rash got worse so I knocked the brown inhaler on the head as I appeared to be allergic to that, and went back on steroid tablets. The rash eventually cleared up but by now the asthma was back!

Now I have a powder 'brown' inhaler which seems to be working well - at least I haven't been wheezing despite having had bad cold and sinusitis!

I am normally quite healthy, but my youngest has just started at nursery and is picking up (and transmitting) viruses like they are going out of fashion.

Edit - I forgot to say, get well soon!

Chris, have you seen an asthma nurse rather than your GP. I use something called Symbicort which I believe is a better product than the brown one which son no.1 moved off from to Symbicort. Like you I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma last year, Symbicort use is daily and keeps it under control, you also don't need a reliever seperately, though my GP gave me a turbohaler to use before excercise, just to open the airways up. I also got bad indigestion from oral steriods related to my polypee sinuses <sigh>.

Must be at that age where bits of us are crumbling :biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
No, I haven't seen an asthma nurse. I was pretty happy with my GP and my sister in law is also a GP and seemed to think what I have ended up on (flixotide) seems reasonable.

I suspect that 'brown' inhalers are just the cheapest product so get prescribed first.

So far, with flixotide accuhaler, I haven't had to use my reliever at all, so it seems to be working well. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
louise

louise

Great news I am staying at home ;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!

My lungs are still crap in particular my right one where there is not a great deal of air going into it, he knew I had a chest infection before he even got the stethascope near me.

Yes it tend to be that brown inhalers (there's also a higher dose burgendy one) get prescribed first but flixotide is the better drug in my opinion, asthma nurses can be a useful rescource mine was great until she left. Luckily I have a good GP.

Its like that the indigestion was down to prednisolone not amoxycillin I also get some gaviscon or zantac in when I am on it.

Symbicort is also great but not strong enough for me even at max dose:ohmy:

I would also advise anyone whose asthmatic to have a "self management plan" Asthma UK can supply lots of info on this

I am currently on

Seretide 500mcg/50mcg (sereide has flixotide in it) twice daily
Phylocontin 225mg twice daily
Prednisolone 40mg
Clarythromycin 500mg twice daily
Ventolin 5mg nebules twice daily and as required up to eight a day
Atrovent nebules 500mcg twice daily and as required up to 4 times daily
Plus my blue inhaler
Paracetomol 1gramme 4 times a day
Codiene Phosphate 60mg 4 times a day
Sodium Chloride Nebuliser solution 4 times a day
May be I should start an asthma thread, I am more than happy to help advise any one it?

col

Legendary Member
People like yourself who are experienced in this can be great advisors,perhaps this could be a sticky for anyone needing help like you say?As i believe there are more sufferers out there that dont realise it yet?And it takes an activity like cycling to bring this to their attention.

OP
OP
louise

louise

Moderators/admin can I just check that you will be ok with me starting off an "asthma thread" and as suggested by Col if it is ok by you can we have it as a sticky

Thanks

Top Bottom