A tale of two Taxis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
Today I was trying out a commute run up to Cheshunt (about 12 miles or so). I was minding my own business in the bus lane going past horrendous queues on the way into Tottenham hale. All or a sudden I hear a beeping behind me and a black cab goes past my elbow with the taxi driver jumping up and down and gesticulating. I join him in this by extending my middle finger and shaking it at him (not the most mature thing I have ever done). Presumably Mr Cabbie was angry I was holding him up. Of course the bus lane merged a couple of hundred yards down the road and Mr Cabbie was sat trying to push into the existing queue. I had had some time to think of a witty repost as I cycled past him, but unfortunately, my normal quick wit deserted me and I just spouted forth expletives as I cruised past.

I saw him later in the gyratory, hassling and beeping other drivers to try to get past the queues.

Then, as I used the cycle lane to cross the traffic - my crossing light was green - a minicab moved across the line and blocked me. He saw me, mouthed sorry, and moved back a bit to let me through. I waved and thanked him. What a difference.

I just wish I had a camera these days. It seems to be getting worse. Why, when you are driving a taxi with clear plates and when presumably it is your livelihood, would you act in this way to get stuck in the queue 30 seconds earlier than you would if you had sat behind me?

I didn't catch the plates, so I cannot follow this up. If I had a camera I would be emailing the police and PCO tonight. I think it would also temper my aggression which is borne from the fact that a cyclist is powerless in these situations - with a camera the playing field seems to be levelled somewhat. I think I need to buy myself one - a sad indictment on the small minority of tw@ts with whom we have to share the road.

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
BTW - going up to Cheshunt - fantastic, felt like I could go on for miles and miles, and was really doing a fair old pace. Thought I might finally be getting fitter. Unfortunately the reason was realised when I came back into a strong headwind which made the return leg horrid. At one point I was having to steer the bicycle into the wind to maintain a straight line - less like cycling, more like sailing...

Tynan

Veteran
ah Tottenham, lived there for a long time, always lively

where is this exactly, Broad Lane?

seriously though, prolonged or indeed anything verbals with drivers can lead to unpleasantness, especially in places like Tottenham

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
Tynan said:

where is this exactly, Broad Lane?

seriously though, prolonged or indeed anything verbals with drivers can lead to unpleasantness, especially in places like Tottenham

Forest Road / Ferry lane going into the gyratory. I shouldn't react - I am hardly able to hold my own if the worst happened, but in the heat of the moment, it is difficult. That is why I think a camera is a good idea.

I am starting to have a dim view of black cabs - this one was driven by a moron who shouldn't have been in charge of a Scaletrix.

Tynan

Veteran
thought so, I did that route intially when I moved to E4, I didn't mind Broad Lane too much other than the bit approaching the lights to get in lane for Seven Sisters Road, the millions of lights approaching Bisopsgate wore me out in the end

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
thought so, I did that route intially when I moved to E4, I didn't mind Broad Lane too much other than the bit approaching the lights to get in lane for Seven Sisters Road, the millions of lights approaching Bisopsgate wore me out in the end

It is fairly horrid at that junction - I have cycled it on the road sometimes, and never found it to be in the least bit enjoyable. There are actually much quicker cycle-paths around the gyratory than going on the main road, but they are confusing, unsigned and you normally share with pedestrians. I tend to use these now I know where they go (spent a happy afternoon going around the area to work out a safe route to the A1010, and Seven Sisters Road).

Domeo

I ride the Tottenham one-way into/out of the City most days on my commute. Most days it is not too bad and this morning, with the school holidays, was pretty nice. On the way home it can be hairy.

Jezston

Über Member
Tynan said:

I bet it is if you're wearing a West Ham shirt :biggrin:

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
mr_cellophane said:
Tottenham to Cheshunt is nice and flat as well.

Absolutely! The road isn't too bad - the worst part is going through Waltham Cross which is either on a horrid dual carriage way by-pass where you can hear cars decelerating rapidly as they pile up behind you and then overtake, or you can go through a series of car-parks, alleys and residential roads to get to the other side of the high street. Probably the least cycle conscious place I have cycled - not really dangerous just inconvenient and unpleasant. A nice series of roundabout and pinch points don't exactly help either.

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
I bet it is if you're wearing a West Ham shirt :biggrin:

I do cycle in football shirts from time to time (they are very comfy), but they are Charlton Athletic football shirts, which tends to evoke pity rather than anger.

Had a Portsmouth Taxi pull an overtake at a pedestrian island.... politely asked him what he had been doing and why he had overtaken at such a stupid place. Was told he culd drive how he liked and to "get a F***ing life"

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he was shown the video by the licensing office and had his hackney license docked with points!

I have seen him since and he just scowls!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
stowie said:
Today I was trying out a commute run up to Cheshunt (about 12 miles or so). I was minding my own business in the bus lane going past horrendous queues on the way into Tottenham hale. All or a sudden I hear a beeping behind me and a black cab goes past my elbow with the taxi driver jumping up and down and gesticulating. I join him in this by extending my middle finger and shaking it at him (not the most mature thing I have ever done). Presumably Mr Cabbie was angry I was holding him up. Of course the bus lane merged a couple of hundred yards down the road and Mr Cabbie was sat trying to push into the existing queue. I had had some time to think of a witty repost as I cycled past him, but unfortunately, my normal quick wit deserted me and I just spouted forth expletives as I cruised past.

I saw him later in the gyratory, hassling and beeping other drivers to try to get past the queues.

Then, as I used the cycle lane to cross the traffic - my crossing light was green - a minicab moved across the line and blocked me. He saw me, mouthed sorry, and moved back a bit to let me through. I waved and thanked him. What a difference.

I just wish I had a camera these days. It seems to be getting worse. Why, when you are driving a taxi with clear plates and when presumably it is your livelihood, would you act in this way to get stuck in the queue 30 seconds earlier than you would if you had sat behind me?

I didn't catch the plates, so I cannot follow this up. If I had a camera I would be emailing the police and PCO tonight. I think it would also temper my aggression which is borne from the fact that a cyclist is powerless in these situations - with a camera the playing field seems to be levelled somewhat. I think I need to buy myself one - a sad indictment on the small minority of tw@ts with whom we have to share the road.

So he's a two-hat to everyone, not just you! Lends weight to my theory that if someone drives like a two-hat around me on my bike, then they're probably an aggressive driver in general. Imagine how worked up and pissed of he feels every day in his cab - whereas when I'm in my car I am usually* a laid back, defensive, relaxed driver ... and I usually arrive at my destination feeling calm and relaxed. If I'm not, it's due to other circumstances; certainly not my driving!

* I have been known to flip my lid before, but not often and not for any great length of time!

stowie said:

The longer I cycle the more I'm convinced that taxi drivers see cyclists as a threat to their livelihoods. They must see every person on a bike as a lost fare so if they can break my leg as they over take or pull out in front of me I won't be able to ride and have to get a taxi instead increasing their customers. Explains why they park in cycle lanes and such too, they're working on generally discouraging people from cycling in any way they can.

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
automatic_jon said:
The longer I cycle the more I'm convinced that taxi drivers see cyclists as a threat to their livelihoods. They must see every person on a bike as a lost fare so if they can break my leg as they over take or pull out in front of me I won't be able to ride and have to get a taxi instead increasing their customers. Explains why they park in cycle lanes and such too, they're working on generally discouraging people from cycling in any way they can.

I am not sure on the theory, but just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you!

This was a London black cab, who - in my experience - tend to view their work as a massive act of charity and therefore an insult if you want to go somewhere in the least bit inconvenient for them (ie anywhere outside Zone 1 or some parts of zone 2). I do get the impression they think increasing the number of customers would be rather inconvenient. But the black cab drivers do have a long and not particularly easy route to becoming one, and it seems odd that someone who has invested this time would jeopardise it in such a fashion. I think the more cyclists that have cameras, the more professional drivers will be wary of them. I am looking to get a MUVI shortly, I wonder if the cabbie would have been quite so aggressive if he had seen a camera on the cycle?

Top Bottom