A tip for tarnishing/corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Spent an hour or two with my new lovely this afternoon, among other things trying out a bizarre technique for dealing with tarnishing. A scrunched up ball of aluminium foil, dipped in Coca-Cola, brief rub, then just wipe off. Amazing - check out these before & afters:

zsfo6.jpg

2rcr9jm.jpg

2ewdydv.jpg

33xadqt.jpg

Attachments

• zsfo6.jpg
    zsfo6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2rcr9jm.jpg
    2rcr9jm.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 2ewdydv.jpg
    2ewdydv.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 33xadqt.jpg
    33xadqt.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 56

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Good lord! That's an incredible difference for a 'brief rub'.
Just one question - how on Earth did you come up with that technique? It wouldn't occur to me to clean stuff with tinfoil and Coke, any more than I would see a sandy beach and try to make windowpanes.

brodie

Wow, that's a big difference!

I tried foil by itself once (after reading about it on a web page) but it didn't really work. I think the key is the coke, which contains phosphoric acid. Rust removers contain phosphoric acid.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
Good lord! That's an incredible difference for a 'brief rub'.
Just one question - how on Earth did you come up with that technique? It wouldn't occur to me to clean stuff with tinfoil and Coke, any more than I would see a sandy beach and try to make windowpanes.
It is quite gobsmacking, but I swear it's for real. I found it by googling - can't recall where. But one of the posters did stress that it's crucial to use 'The Real Thing' - cheapo cokes don't work. 50p. And it was no more than half an hour to do the forks, the chainset, the rear tube and the pedals.

RSV_Ecosse

Coke-a-Cola, amazing stuff.

Known for years that a really easy way to free off seized/sticking pistons in a car or motorbike engine that has been sat still for years is to pour Coke down the bores and let it sit overnight. Then turn the engine over and lo and behold, it sprays Coke out everywhere but free's off the pistons in the bores.

The reason this works is that Coke contains phosphoric acid, you know, the same stuff that dissolves your tooth enamel. It's enough that it can slightly dissolve and penetrate the seized area where the friction has welded the piston rings to the bore. It also dissolves rust, and attacks oxidation- it's excellent for cleaning alloys and for scouring rusty gas tanks.

Apparently. :evil:

RSV_Ecosse

LOL.....can anything?. :evil:

Top Bottom