A West Yorkshire loop (NOW!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Probably too late for the rest of you, but I'm about to get ready and set off to meet Calum and Bokonon between Oxenhope and Haworth for a hilly little local loop. It's a lovely sunny autumn day here and I'm pleased to be getting out on a ride with some good company.

If by any chance you live nearby and are free, I'll be riding between Oxenhope and along Haworth Brow at about 11:30 to meet up somewhere along that stretch of road - come and join us! We will be doing about 30 hilly miles from there back to Hebden Bridge, with a cafe stop at Wycoller.

Oops, look at the time ... Byeeeeee! :hello:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yeah cheers Col. I'm stuck in Taunton with a control PC that's lost its Hal.dll file. Just before a 5 hour drive. You enjoy your bloody ride on your lovely bloody autumn day.

colly

Re member eR
It's ok for some huh?

You gentlemen of leisure have to realise that us workers have barely time to breath during the day!!

Have a good one. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Now, now chaps - I well remember prison life the world of conventional work!

I worked a 55-60 hour week doing hard physical labour in a factory for 4 years before I went to university and I did a 5th year on nights to save up enough money to go (four ten hour shifts didn't earn me enough so I worked five eleven hour shifts).

While a lot of you were out having a fantastic time, I was often working overtime, or recovering from it!

After university I did a few years on a fixed salary. I was frequently expected to work 4+ hours unpaid overtime in the evenings and/or work whole weekends for no extra pay, and I was only on about £10k at the time too, so hardly raking the cash in.

I can safely say that many entire summers came and went in my 20s and 30s without me spending a single day out in the sunshine.

One year, my June summer holiday was put back so many times due to pressure of work that I ended up taking it at this time of year and our caravan in the Yorkshire Dales got snowed in during blizzard conditions!

Eventually, I'd had enough of my crappy work-life balance so I chose to pack in my career and try to go it alone on t'Interweb. The fact is that (so far) this has been largely unsuccessful and has plunged me into poverty, so please cut me some slack and allow me to occasionally take up the kind offer of a mid-week ride in the sunshine with a couple of friendly CycleChatters! :whistle:

Anyway, enough of that - what about the cycling?

I met Calum and Bokonon as arranged, and we dropped down into Haworth, climbed up to Stanbury, then plunged down to Ponden reservoir. The sunshine was hitting the north side of the valley so we climbed back up towards Oakworth and then turned left and headed over to Scar Top.

sunny-november-west-yorkshire-hills.jpg

We decided to stop at Moor Lodge tea rooms rather than going on to the cafe at Wycoller.

It was so warm that we were able to sit out on the balcony in comfort and enjoy great views over the moors.

view-from-moor-lodge-tea-rooms-scartop.jpg

calum-and-bokonon-on-moor-lodge-tea-rooms-balcony.jpg

We had a bit of a debate about which way to ride back to Hebden Bridge. In the end we did a tour of the local hills via Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Thursden, Haggate, Worsthorne and Mereclough, and then dropped down onto the A646 and did a quick blast down to Todmorden and along the valley road to HB.

We headed straight round to the station for Will (Bokonon) and Calum to catch the train back to Leeds.

I had done 43 miles and they had already done 23 miles from Leeds to Oxenhope when I met them so their total was 66 plus a few more miles to get home from the station at the other end.

Thanks for the company lads, and for dragging me away from my computer for a while - sometimes I feel like I'm married to the damn thing!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A good day out then. :thumbsup: And those tea rooms at Moor Lodge look like a great setting.
Yes, and yes, but the prices are a little on the high side (by local standards) - £2.50 for a coffee, for example. (Thanks for mine, Will!)

In case anyone wonders where Moor Lodge tea rooms are - they are upstairs at the Scar Top furniture store which you can't miss on the RHS of the road between Stanbury and Laneshaw Bridge, just after the road from Oakworth joins it.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Slacker!

Looks like a good 'un.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looks like you had a good day out. If I hadn't have been working (at the same place as Bokonon) I'd have joined you. BTW wasn't he supposed to have been at work or was he skiving? :tongue:

I appreciate how hard self-employment is - but keep at it. I've ended up reliant on a university salary to pay the mortgage instead, although I enjoy the teaching I do.

Bokonon

Über Member
One of the benefits of being non-academic is that I can take holidays during term time so I can get out and enjoy the best of the November weather :smile:

Steve H

Large Member
Now, now chaps - I well remember prison life the world of conventional work!

I worked a 55-60 hour week doing hard physical labour in a factory for 4 years before I went to university and I did a 5th year on nights to save up enough money to go (four ten hour shifts didn't earn me enough so I worked five eleven hour shifts).

While a lot of you were out having a fantastic time, I was often working overtime, or recovering from it!

After university I did a few years on a fixed salary. I was frequently expected to work 4+ hours unpaid overtime in the evenings and/or work whole weekends for no extra pay, and I was only on about £10k at the time too, so hardly raking the cash in.

I can safely say that many entire summers came and went in my 20s and 30s without me spending a single day out in the sunshine.

One year, my June summer holiday was put back so many times due to pressure of work that I ended up taking it at this time of year and our caravan in the Yorkshire Dales got snowed in during blizzard conditions!

Luxury! I used to 'ave to walk over 'ot coals afore working a 400 hour week. ;-)

Wish I could have joined you, but unfortunately work gets in the way. Could be up for a midweek ride next week if anyone fancies it?

Top Bottom