A What Camera Thread From a Total Camera Numpty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Our digital camera, a Finepix 2800Zoom, purchased secondhand on here for a very fair price, would appear to be dying. As it's old, needs 4 AA batteries and any form of repair would cost more than I paid for it, we need something else. We're not camera people and consider £50 a lot of money for a camera, half of that would seem better. So what to look for? or, at that price bracket, are we better off just using whatever camera is on our mobile phones?

Obviously nothing fancy required here, basic functions, easy to use, easy to put pics online and as childproof/indestructable as possible.

Keith Oates

Janner
If you're just an occassional photographer (like me) and you take snaps as opposed to photgraphs, the latest mobile phone cameras seem to be more than adequate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norm

... or, at that price bracket, are we better off just using whatever camera is on our mobile phones?
Is there anything wrong with the pix taken on your mobiles? If you have no problems with them, then keep using them. That wouldn't just save you half of the £50. :thumbsup:

Can you not fit a fish eye lens?
"If anyone can, Canon can" :smile: (Juyst press the special halibutton their latest range)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Obviously nothing fancy required here, basic functions, easy to use, easy to put pics online and as childproof/indestructable as possible.
In the price range you're talking of I doubt if you could beat the one on your mobile. I'm no photographer and only take the occasional few snaps, but I have been surprised at how good mobile phone cameras have become. Unless you're fussy they're good enough for what most people need I would wager.

Here you go MacB, cheap, tough and even at 3Mp way better than any mobile phone with 3 times the supposed reolution. Only 30ses of video per clip though, if that's important.

I have one of these and it's such a delightful and easy camera to use that I haven't bothered upgrading it yet, only the video lets it down for me. Tough, well when I was teaching son no.2 to ride his bike, running alongside him as he got faster, the camera leapt out of my pocket and I caught it perfectly on the volley, Beckham could not have timed it better and watched it sail through the air before bouncing down the gravel path to a halt. I was expecting the worse but but for some scarring, no ill effects. It should go for about £35, well over £250 when new.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks folks, I'll see how the camera phones perform, we have 5 of them in the house and I think I've used one about 4 times, except for my obligatory 100's of snaps of the inside of my pocket....not in that way 3BM

I think we're also sorted with a seperate camera, a knight in, a very well muscled, suit of shining armour has made me an offer I can't refuse :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Someone help him out for gawds sake, he really needs a new camera looking at the state of the last set of pics in his gallery.

Don't be cruel,I'm sure 1 of them was almost in focus
tongue.gif

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
;) I think you need a Nikon D3s ;)

Seriously though, cant go wrong with Lumix for the money. I use the top Lumix from 2 years back as a compact when I dont want or need to take the D3 out.

Top Bottom