A13 Shared Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joggingbob

Does anyone know if the shared cycle path along the A13 from Movers Flyover to Canary Wharf is now snow and ice free? Not used the bike for commuting since just before Christmas and fed up having to use the tube.
(Not had a chance to drive over there to check and didn't want to cycle to that point to then have to find the nearest tube station).

Thanks

(hopefully the snow and ice will be gone by next week )

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If it's a busy road then yes.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

Gaz, it is a very busy road but the cyclepath is raised, (i.e. kerbstone and a very wide path, often a grass verge and then the cycle path and then ped path), so not sure that the salt / grit from the road would have reached the cyclepath.

bad boy

Über Member
joggingbob said:
Gaz, it is a very busy road but the cyclepath is raised, (i.e. kerbstone and a very wide path, often a grass verge and then the cycle path and then ped path), so not sure that the salt / grit from the road would have reached the cyclepath.

No mate and its pissing me right off I use it from near Beckton and go all the way past Canning town Station but Ive been taking a long divert to avoid.

Its sludgy at the moment and some patches are clear but you will need to be carefull if you use it

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

Bad boy - thanks for the info, it would be a long diversion for me as well. Will probably give it a little longer to clear then. Cheers.

yashicamat - yep certainly not a win win situation.

HobbesChoice

Definitely not looking good for the start of the A13! :smile:

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

sheddy, good ideathanks, it does give an indication of what the route would be like. I was searching for webcams for Yorkshire this week as my Son will be camping there this weekend but didn't think of looking for webcams for my commute.

HobbesChoice

jogginbob, I've decided to go for it tonight, so I'll send something in this thread tomorrow to let you know what it was like, if you want to know?

If I don't send an update on here tomorrow then definitely avoid (or help me up when you cycle by!!!)

bad boy

Über Member
To update all I decided to run to work and home today via the A13 cycle path and in parts its clear Im going to give it ago tomorrow but you will need to take it easy.

HobbesChoice

Thanks for the update bad boy.

I cycled home on it last night and it was awful in places! Isn't it odd that two people can have such a different perspective (or wimp out factor)? :biggrin: It was fine up until Newham way and then I had to get off the bike and walk a couple of times (although it would have been fine if I'd had the courage to cycle against the slip road traffic in the bus lane like many other cyclists did. Our difference in perspective could be to do with which side of the A13 we were using too). Although once I got to Dagenham it was clear all the way through again!

I think my main issue was having been off my lovely light hybrid bike since before Christmas and then getting on a beast of a mountain bike to ride through London and then in the snow. I know I've put on weight as I can see that, but how much fitness runs out the window with it is astonishing :blush:

I may brave the hybrid tomorrow if the rain and warmer temperatures stick around today!

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

HobbesChoice and bad boy, thank you both for posting the updates. I wasn't working at Canary Wharf yesterday so did not attempt and today I will be having a drink afterwork so no bike, (excuses excuses). However assume it has all melted away now given the termperatures and rain. So looks like my first commute of the year will be on Monday !

HobbesChoice

Also, we're expecting a sweltering 9 degrees on Sunday so all should be sorted by Monday. Get my new bike on Sunday so will be really anxious to get out on it on Monday.

Top Bottom