Aaaaaaahhh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just got a new camera.

Co-incidentally, the starlings that have been making such a racket in the roof just above our bedroom have just fledged.

And here's the result:

DSC_0099crsh.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cripes! The baby one is trying to eat its mum! Quick, someone tell Bill Oddie! :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
No pics unfortunately, but there is a tree on my dog-walking route that has a perfectly round hole in it and lots of noise emanating from wherein. Baby Woody's, I spect?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
simonali said:
No pics unfortunately, but there is a tree on my dog-walking route that has a perfectly round hole in it and lots of noise emanating from wherein. Baby Woody's, I spect?
Like this? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There was a little sunshine in Yorkshire on Sunday, yes. But I can't find any evidence of it among the other 83 frames I shot then, so it must have lasted about 1/500 of a second...

It's a D60. Not that flash as DSLRs go, but I really need it for my work you see - honest. No, really...

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The noises coming out of the tree hole could just be starlings. They're pretty noisy, and they nest in holes too. Either way, lurk and watch for a bit and you might see a big chick looking out or a parent making a feeding visit.

Mr Pig

Great picture! We had those little so-an-sos in in our house a few years ago, it was a nightmare. They were nesting in the roof but they found a way down into the ceiling spaces and were padding about the ceilings. They also got into the house and flew about!

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
They nest in our roof, and until I did some repair work on the eaves, they sometimes got into the roof space. We found lots of peanuts that they'd dropped up there and then couldn't find again in the dark.

The bottom edge of the felt had got all ragged from birds shredding it for nesting material. We've put plastic eaves trays in now. Since we have swifts, starlings and house sparrows (the latter two being red-list species) nesting there, we've left gaps for them to continue to use, but at least now they can't destroy the roof or get into the roof space.

Mr Pig

I was concerned about them doing damage inside the ceiling, like biting wires etc, and it was pretty annoying sitting in the livingroom and hearing them patter-patter along from one side of the room to the other! The hole got blocked up!

simonali

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
The noises coming out of the tree hole could just be starlings. They're pretty noisy, and they nest in holes too. Either way, lurk and watch for a bit and you might see a big chick looking out or a parent making a feeding visit.

There was definitely a woodpecker about as I could hear it tapping nearby.

Top Bottom