Aaaagh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
OK I had about my 5th p******e in a month on the way home last night! SO annoying! Last time it happened on the back wheel it was the same thing - very slow seemingly. I checked the tyre thoroughly last time and so did the guy in my LBS - nothing. Am I just unlucky?

Of course I dodn't have a spare inner with me, having now completely gone through my stocks... pumped it up and the presta valve fitting flew off my pump.... never to be seen again.... hmph

I didn't know until last night that bikes aren't allowed on buses - even empty ones.... a driver stopped when I signalled in order to tell me this.

OK, I thought, after walking for a bit, I don't fancy the 3 mile walk home on a blister, I'll tie my steed up here and come back for it in the car. Next bus just whizzed past me and the old lady at the bus stop! No more buses on that route for another 45 minutes, why didn't he stop?

Grrrr. Anyway I had a nice long walk home! I guess the moral of the story is carry an inner tube at all times.... I am v fed up of all the punctures though! :sad:

Sorry to hear that.
If you are pumping your tyres up to the right pressure it may be time for new tyres.
Also it sounds like time to patch one or two of the old tubes as back up.
Only a guess but the bus that went by may have been full or not actually scheduled to stop at that stop.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've been commuting for the past few days without any tubes. Got a delivery last night so happy again.

I would suggest changing the rear tyre

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Thanks guys, I certainly won't be from now on clarion. HLaB it was the right bus - which is what made it so annoying!

After a p******etastic first day on the C2C a few weeks back I changed the back tyre to an armadillo. Last Sunday had a big piece of glass slice my front tyre which I replaced with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Maybe it's time to change the armadillo - this is getting expensive! Should have time to inspect the offending tyre again tonight.... so annoying!

One of the two times I have had more than one p*nct*res on a ride (the other was when I unexpectedly encountered a patch of newly-laid tarmac) was after I had been advised to try an Armadillo to replace my old Pasela. That tyre was replaced pretty swiftly.

Your point about buses is an interesting one. I think it's fair that there's some limitation. On a crowded bus, you get jolted around, and no one wants to come into contact with tyres covered with road grime or an oily chain. But a cyclist in distress and a largely empty bus? Come on, that's not really an imposition. I have seen buses carrying cyclists in various places, but it's been the discretion of the driver every time (and probably against the rules usually).

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Lesson learnt I guess.

I wont get on a crowded train...Luckily as I only have a max distance of ten miles I will get home eventually and it's doable....I think the most I have walked with bike is about five miles.

potsy

Rambler
Time for M+ mate or at least put the Armadillo on the front and the M+ on the rear,2 inner tubes in your saddle bag at all times as well.
I often wonder what i'll do if I get an unfixable problem miles from home,would a taxi driver let you take it in their cab?

potsy said:
Time for M+ mate or at least put the Armadillo on the front and the M+ on the rear,2 inner tubes in your saddle bag at all times as well.
I often wonder what i'll do if I get an unfixable problem miles from home,would a taxi driver let you take it in their cab?

Possible but they would probably want a hefty tip and possibly you would have to remove the wheels.

Debian

Having had the pleasure of walking back five miles, partly across muddy off-road stuff whilst pushing/carrying a tyreless MTB I never ever go without two spare tubes and a repair kit now. I even carry two mini pumps in case one fails - I'm that paranoid!

I need to get a folding tyre or two to carry as well, just in case :tongue:

gavintc

Guru
5 is most unusual. I propose that you are not pumping your tyres up hard enough, your tubes have been patched once too often, or you are pinching the tubes when you put them on. I use lightweight tubes and tyres and a puncture is very rare - every 6 months.

Top Bottom