Abuse of MPs, particularly female MPs.

Rusty Nails

We remember
I know these are troubled times but what is it about all this abuse of MPs, particularly women.

The latest is Nicky Morgan, who has said that is part of the reason she is not standing in the GE, and while I have no time for her politics, I cannot understand the sort of people who get some warped pleasure from the vile abuse (usually from the cowardly anonymity of the internet) that she says she gets. From what I have read about it the abuse that women in the public eye, including politics, get can be particularly misogynist and sexual.

Who is to blame? Is it our politicians, from the example they set, and the blind eye they seem to turn to criticism of their opponents or the lip service they give to stopping it, or is it just a function of our society and the secure 'freedom' offered by internet platforms. Are most perpetrators men?

If it deters women from politics it will not be good for politics or our society.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Guru
And it seems it's not only confined to the field of politics. Nowadays people feel the necessity to pedal abuse from behind the anonimity of a keyboard. Why, I don't know, maybe because they can get away with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And it seems it's not only confined to the field of politics. Nowadays people feel the necessity to pedal abuse from behind the anonimity of a keyboard. Why, I don't know, maybe because they can get away with it.
Like on this very forum, and the mass flounce a while back when the main offenders got their 'collars felt'. They haven't been back. :laugh:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Like on this very forum, and the mass flounce a while back when the main offenders got their 'collars felt'. They haven't been back. :laugh:
I do seem to remember the people I think you may be referring to regularly meting out threats of sexual assault, rape, physical violence and death, so yes, your example ties in perfectly with the topic of this thread, well done.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
I’m not sure you can draw any parallels - as far as I can see no CC member you mention has ever issued death or rape threats to another. But do correct me if I’m wrong. I also suspect that a number of the so-called flouncers had no choice about their departure, they were banned for life.

I’d be a bit wary of trivialising the real threats to life and nastiness that MPs undergo particularly as some of it is face to face and not via social media.

stowie

Guru
My local MP is Stella Creasy. She has become quite high profile with a number of issues especially abortion rights and she is very anti-Brexit (as is the constituency).

The bile that is regularly meted out to her on twitter is astonishing.

All of it deeply personal and intended to humiliate. Bizarrely, because she is not in the Corbyn inner circle (and has been critical of the executive in the past) she gets this from both the left and the right.

I can see why people no longer want to be MPs.

Although not confined to women only, Women and BAME MPs seem to get "special" treatment. I don't agree with much that Dianne Abbott says, for example, but the level of abuse is way beyond being explainable just by policy disagreements.

Cycleops

Guru
Abuse does seem to quite widespread and not only confined to female MPs although I can understand that they will find it more upsetting. That response from Stella Creasy was ace.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41237836

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you put yourself out there in public. Morons are going to abuse you. It comes with the territory. If you cant take the abuse, dont apply for the job.

Its how society is now.

I used to be a policeman, so I know this 👮😁

Yes I know Im a wanxer and dont know my father and my mother takes it like Victoria Beckham. Thats all prerequisites for getting the job.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If you put yourself out there in public. Morons are going to abuse you. It comes with the territory. If you cant take the abuse, dont apply for the job.

Its how society is now.

Yes I know Im a wanxer and dont know my father and my mother takes it like Victoria Beckham. Thats all prerequisites for getting the job.
You think it's acceptable or somehow the fault of the, in this case, MPs?

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease

Its how society is now.

But don't you yearn for something better? Surely people giving their time to serving the public deserve respect and better treatment. One of my off-spring works as a junior doctor in A&E - you should hear the tales he has of being verbally and physically abused by people he is helping.

Actually what about people following the old adage? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That would be a good start.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

a permanent vacancy now exists
This problem is getting worse and isn't confined to women or politicians.

Anywhere where there is a public platform that allows people to voice there opinions and views is now subject to trolls and all manner of keyboard warriors whose sole purpose in life is to be as nasty and unpleasant to anyone and everyone as they can.

The reason? Because they are anonymous and because they can and because no one can see them.

In most cases they are sad unhappy miserable people that have little else to do. They have probably run out of people in the real world to complain and moan to so have now gravitated to the internet thinking that they won't be found out.

This culture of being as obnoxious as you can be to anyone seems to be getting worse not better.

My advise would be to shut your privacy settings down and or report the abuse.

Some people however do feel that they cannot turn their devices off for some unknown reason and are they're own worst enemy.

I do feel sorry for people who need to be part of those platforms for their jobs etc. More should be done by the authorities to dig these people out of their holes and deal with them by perhaps publishing their details and allowing them to feel the same unpleasantness and vitriol that they have inflicted on their victims.

I can't in all honesty see the problem getting better though. In truth I can see it only getting worse in the future.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Its how society is now.

Thinking a little more on this, some of the people that have been issuing these threats have ended up in court and indeed prison as a result of their actions, it seems rather odd for an ex-policeman to think that something should be considered part and parcel of the job package when it has resulted in prison sentences and restraining orders.

Top Bottom