1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessories

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by The Jogger, 27 Jun 2008.

1. The Jogger

The Jogger Guru

Hi
    At last my cycle2work bike has arrived at Halfords and I pick it up tomorrow. It's the Spezialised Sirrus as recommended on this site.
    I will have to buy a few bits to go with it, I've got £180 left on my voucher to do this. I'll get the Gold standard lock @ £35
    Do they do any good lights for country lanes at halfords. I'll get one of their helmets and then see whats left to get a pump and mud gaurds etc.
    Any suggestions?
    Roy

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Mudguards. But don't get the Dirt Monkey ones. They're rubbish.

3. longers

longers Veteran

Toolkit?

4. Moonlight

Moonlight New Member

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

In short, no. Halfords only sell lights that will enable you to 'be seen' rather than see in front of you when it's pitch dark. Try ayups or hope lights. You'll need to spend quite a bit to get a light that will enable you to actually see where you're going with.

6. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

(edited for clarity!;))

7. upsidedown

upsidedown Waiting for the great leap forward

I git a Topeak Alien multi-tool reduced from there, good bit of kit, they also do Topeak luggage kits which look nice.

Failing that some cleaner, spare tubes, power-links, puncture kits.

8. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Don't get mudgaurds, they'll make a nice looking bike look crap.....

9. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Spare tubes and a mini-pump.
    Gloves, waterproofs, water bottle.
    Pannier rack and bags

For country lanes (assuming they're unlit) I would want at least a 10watt halogen / 3watt led + two good rear lights.

Mud-gaurds might look crap but they're definitely worth while if you're going to ride in the wet.

10. longers

longers Veteran

Mudguards don't look crap on my Sirrus.

11. roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

:biggrin:at last someone who thinks my way... though I think mudguards will be compulsory in the winter now that Ive joined a club.

Any recomendations for a 'first time mudguard buyer'????

12. Mister Paul

SKS. Raceblades or the chromoplastic ones if they'll fit.

13. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

The mudguards might not look crap, but the bike as a whole now does.....:angry:

14. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

the Cateye EL 530 will light up a country lane, and won't cost the earth in batteries. Cateye rear lights die in the wet.

15. Mister Paul

My EL520 was pants on an unlit towpath last year. So I went for the Ayups. I'll post the comparison pictures tonight. They're mind-blowing.