ACL injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maggie_0

I have been commuting to work for a couple of years now, and back in June I was run off the road by a bus (who just drove off and left me lying on the road). To cut a long story short, I badly damaged my knee and are due to have reconstructive surgery on my ACL. I am quite worried about how long recovery will take, and how long before I will be able to cycle again. The last thing I want is being forced to use a bus to commute to work... :x Has anyone here had the same surgery who could shed some light how long before they were able to cycle again?

Thanks,
Z

wormo

Guru
Hi Maggie,

I had this proceedure back in 1994. The op was late september, physio was november, didn't start driving till mid December. Started gym work other than physio in January. This was nearly 20 yrs ago so guess (hope) things have improved since then. Nearly passed out when did first full revolution on bike during physio.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Hi Maggie, I haven't had ACL problems but had a chat with a physio about it. A lot depends on your own bodies ability to repair, how much time /Money/effort you can put into rehab. As a rough guide, possibly 4 to 5 months before you can get back on a bike and ride again...Not good news if that is the case...
Sorry

OP
OP
M

maggie_0

well I am 6 weeks post op now. Have improved a lot in the past few days, and walking a lot better. Not quite got a full extension yet, but getting there.
Was told on Monday it is ok to start on a static bike, and I can do 5-10 mins, no pain (just boredom!)
I cannot wait to get back to commuting (6 miles each way) again, but not certain if I should dare to... Doc said the only thing is if I fall I might do damage - I don't want that fear stopping me tho.
Has anyone got back to cycling as early as 6-7 weeks post op?

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be worth checking out http://www.kneeguru....Etalk/index.php too. A fantastic resource for those with poorly knees (including myself, also as a result of a cycling accident). Lots of people who have had ACLr (second most common knee op after a 'simple' arthroscopy). There is a very active cruciate ligament board

I have a friend on there who cycled pretty soon after her ACLr, but she is a loon and was back skiing after 6 months (the cause of her initial injury)

What does your physio think?

Good luck :smile:

OP
OP
M

maggie_0

He just said it would be good exercise, but stick to a static bike for now. However I find that extremely boring...

Thanks for the link, dos look very good!

Top Bottom