Acts of activism/supprt

Hudson1984

Über Member
Ok, so I’m confused - wondered if I’m alone there....

few weeks ago it was all about clapping for nhs

now it’s all about taking a knee for black lives matter.
I wonder if after this 30 second selfie pose people actually do anything else? I mean are people taking a knee then back to the pub to moan about people of a different race (socially distancing of course)
or clapping for NHS then moaning about waiting time’s?

it’s just to me everyone seems really fake just lately, I mean what the hell does taking a knee do unless it’s followed upwith action? Or clapping with nothing behind it?

Is everyone just happy to be seen doing these popular acts rather than actually doing anything meaningful and making changes to their lives?

stephec

Legendary Member
Do you mean something similar to posting Facebook memes telling everyone to be kind, then a month later elbowing a little old lady out of the way for ten tons of bog roll? 🤣🤣🤣

OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
You’ve followed me in Morrison’s clearly!!
Yes! It’s one of the reasons I’m not on Facebook, it’s just turned everyone so fake.

I agree BLM and agree changes need to be made, but all these acts of support just feel like some marketing guy has put it all together

it’s like the ice bucket challenge. EVERYONE jumping on the bandwagon doing the challenge all saying “look at me doing the als challenge” then most not raising money in actual support for the charity behind it.

really grinds my gears.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
The selective nature of this sort of think grinds my gears. The same people that regularly trot out anti semitic sentiment are happy to take the knee for black lives. They rattle on about white privilege while ignoring the fact that when push came to shove being white didn't save the 6 million of my ancestors that were murdered by a white supremacist.

Racism isn't the problem - hate and bigotry are the problem.

I just ignore it all, else I'd explode with apoplectic rage. I do my best to treat those I meet with fairness and dignity based upon their propensity to do the same to me. Beyond that I stay out of such debates, and make a particular point of not reading about it or watching it on the news.

OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
The selective nature of this sort of think grinds my gears. The same people that regularly trot out anti semitic sentiment are happy to take the knee for black lives. They rattle on about white privilege while ignoring the fact that when push came to shove being white didn't save the 6 million of my ancestors that were murdered by a white supremacist.

Racism isn't the problem - hate and bigotry are the problem.

I just ignore it all, else I'd explode with apoplectic rage. I do my best to treat those I meet with fairness and dignity based upon their propensity to do the same to me. Beyond that I say out of such debates, and make a particular point of not reading about it or watching it on the news.
agreed, think that’s probably the best idea.

Chris S

Guru
I think taking the knee for BLM is in rather poor taste. They're mimicking the way in which George Floyd was murdered.

OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
I think taking the knee for BLM is in rather poor taste. They're mimicking the way in which George Floyd was murdered.
very true!
see, marketing stunt.
all about "impact" rather than actual results.
and what does the world do? tries to remove it all from history....statues attacked, programmes cancelled etc etc.
I'm against racism, I really couldn't care less what colour someone is but you can't change history, there was a slave trade and lots of countries have been built on that money - should we celebrate those people? absolutely not, but we should be informing people about their history as part of the growth of the country.

statues could well be modified with information, i.e. this guy was a slave trader, this town is built of money he earned - the guy was a knob but these are the facts. Now surely it's better to celebrate the fact we are not in that situation any more?

more WORK needs to be done so we're not going back down a bad path but I don't see what going down on a knee does toward that effort, surely education would be a much better tool to use....if people actually wanted to learn

OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
The knee as a protest came well before that murder.
yeah I think at american football games they've been doing it during the anthem haven't they? (I mean protesters of course)
it's a bit of an odd statement given the circumstances though as Chris suggested.

OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
It's not an odd statement. They are protesting the same way as they did before the murder.

It's even more powerful now given what happened.
think this is where we disagree - I just don't see the power of things like this - but then it's not really "for me" is it. Don't think anyone really cares if I like it or not.

The point I'm making is it all just feels very fake, hypocritical activists jumping on a bandwagon.

Now to be very blunt;
I am white and probably privileged - don't know haven't lived any other way to really know if my skin has had anything to do with my life
I haven't really given BLM any thought before, not because I don't agree with the cause but mostly - i'm selfish and it doesn't effect me.
This doesn't mean I am racist, doesn't mean I think any less of anyone of a different colour it's more I don't really think of people outside of those I interract with i.e. I treat everyone the same when I interract in whatever way that is.

Now, for me, going outside and suddenly taking a knee would feel really fake

I'm not an activist
I've done absolutely NOTHING to further BLM
Is me taking a knee really helping a cause?

I've worked all over the world, often in situations where I'm the only "white guy" and from my own experience (which is of course different to everyone elses so I don't think this is commonplace it's just what happened in my life) I think changes need to be made across the board. We're ALL too happy to judge people on race

I agree with the BLM sentiment against the ALL lives matter sentiment which I didn't before - so I've learned something from this. But that came from being educated rather than taking a knee.

Top Bottom