Acts of activism/supprt

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Gonna take a wild punt on this one...
Oh, wild punting sounds like glorious fun.

River banks, picnics, flitting dragonflies, and the heady scent of crushed bulrushes..

Can I come too?? :smile:

Rusty Nails

We remember
Although I don't agree with the analogy that @Levo-Lon makes, I think that modern day slavery (mainly but not exclusively people of colour) to enable the wealthier people around the world to have the cheap goodies they love is surely one of the aspects of capitalism that BLM rightly wants to get rid of.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Although I don't agree with the analogy that @Levo-Lon makes, I think that modern day slavery (mainly but not exclusively people of colour) to enable the wealthier people around the world to have the cheap goodies they love is surely one of the aspects of capitalism that BLM rightly wants to get rid of.
Indeed but is that what levo was saying?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes i think our long, and not so glorious exploitation of the people of the global south, their land, their people ,and their resources,
which has facilitated our lives of ease and plenty, right up to the present day, is an issue of injustice at play here.

Plus the fact that we have offloaded our pollution, and climate change gases onto the rest of the world too isn't very brilliant .

Particularly as those in the global south are already being adversely impacted by climate change, droughts, desertification, and flash floods .

This does all seems deeply unfair, given that those people have not done the bulk of the polluting.

Even being a teensy bit sorry about all that would be a good start, and then we could look at making amends perhaps ?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've never been brave enough for wild-swimming, but it looks great:
Wild PUNTING, however, might be for me!!!
From what my father reported, I believe that punting involves quite a lot of unscheduled 'wild swimming' until you get the hang of it. :rolleyes:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yeah if they would do that out of the blue you might have a point, but if they do that after statues get vandalized it kind of invalidates your point because the direct implication is that people think it's a response to that terror. There is something to say about the flip side of the person being remembered with a statue, but how do you show that be removing the statue? if you remove something you're not updating it, removing and updating are two different things. You can simply test that out yourself on your device, if you click on ''windows update'' or the update feature of the os you are using, you're updating it, if you type format C: or Wipe all or similar commands you're removing it..
To continue with your poor analogy; you don't wipe an entire operating system to deal with a glitch in Notepad, you download and install the appropriate bug fix. The errant program is still there, now it just works as it should.

But to get back to reality, nobody is removing history.

There's a world of difference between Britain and Germany though. The Nazis lasted just 12 years and the entire German nation was smashed into rubble, millions killed and an education system put in place by occupying powers over the next 50 years that thoroughly shoved German faces into the dirt. It's a nation that's been cowed and had guilt placed at the centre of their consciousness as a deliberate act by Britain, America, France and Russia.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's a world of difference between Britain and Germany though. The Nazis lasted just 12 years and the entire German nation was smashed into rubble, millions killed and an education system put in place by occupying powers over the next 50 years that thoroughly shoved German faces into the dirt. It's a nation that's been cowed and had guilt placed at the centre of their consciousness as a deliberate act by Britain, America, France and Russia.

For sure and this article Illustrates that.

The point is, we (or some of us) are so very' proud' of our 'exceptional' history, when much of it contains some truly awful, and despicable, activities.

I'm not sure guilt is particularly useful emotion here.

But at least let's have some recognition, and truthfulness, so we can learn who we are, where we come from, why things are as they are..

And most importantly learn things, so as to stop bollixing things up in the future..

Look how Germany has rebuilt itself as a mostly progressive, modern, green inclined, outward looking powerhouse, embedded in the modern world.

(not perfect I know - nowhere is)

Look where we've got ourselves to by selectively 'misremembering' our 'history' and 'culture' :sad:

Top Bottom