Acts of activism/supprt

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"We live in very absurd times. We should resist all attempts to rewrite history or delete it just because someone doesn't like it" or because it's fashionable to so do.
What about updating it so that it is more accurate and doesn’t shy away from an uncomfortable truth that had been glossed over just because someone would rather that‘s forgotten?

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾
Can people please go and actually listen to some hip-hop? And furthermore understand that Johnny Cash never really shot a man in Reno.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
"We live in very absurd times. We should resist all attempts to rewrite history or delete it just because someone doesn't like it" or because it's fashionable to so do.
No one is attempting to 'rewrite' or delete history - apart from a few sorts who would rather gloss over the less than edifying bits - history cannot be changed it is in the past.

That's how time works - unless you are a quantum physicist apparently.

What can be done though, is looking at, and writing, and portraying that history with greater accuracy and honesty, based on the facts available.

That is quite literally the job of historians.
It's what they are paid to do by academic institutions.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
No ... Can you show me some proof that I am wrong ?
You are the one making the claim, not me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ok ... I'll swallow the bait ... Please provide the list of black slavers BLM are protesting against and a list of statues of non white people they wish to be removed. Please ... Feel free to educate me ...
Please provide evidence of this,

"There are lots of people who want to rewrite British history to "prove" all white people are evil."

first.

You were asked politely.

matticus

No one is attempting to 'rewrite' or delete history - apart from a few sorts who would rather gloss over the less than edifying bits - history cannot be changed it is in the past.

That's how time works - unless you are a quantum physicist apparently.

What can be done though, is looking at, and writing, and portraying that history with greater accuracy and honesty, based on the facts available.

That is quite literally the job of historians.
It's what they are paid to do by academic institutions.

View attachment 531421
Very true. But it's not the job of angry mobs (no matter how justified their anger).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Very true. But it's not the job of angry mobs (no matter how justified their anger).
Angry mobs do not rewrite or edit history either.

Sometimes yes they pull down statues for many reasons - that has happened throughout history - if you care to look - and that action has become part of history too.

But still they don't 'delete' or get to 'rewrite' any of it - sure the 'football lads' and all the rest will warrant a sentence or two when its all recorded.

Top Bottom