Acts of activism/supprt

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾
Yeah, because white people never pose with weapons or take drugs.
There's (predominantly white) armed right wing militia literally walking the streets of US cities. It's not exactly a new thing but still, the absolute state of these lads.

Boogaloo-bois-.jpg

The way I look at drug and gun culture in black America is this: Black Americans tried to create their own economy, legitimately and within the bounds of society and the law. They did very well in places like Tulsa, and then white people destroyed it. They literally rained fire down from the sky and burned it to the ground. And even since then, black people have been marginalised and disadvantaged. Law enforcement has not helped them and has been complicit over the years in destruction of property, beatings and lynchings.

So they've built their own economy outside of the state and have their own means of protecting it. If they're outside of the state then they have necessarily to deal in things the state does not control, black market stuff, drugs, strip clubs and the like. And if they distrust law enforcement, and they are operating an economy which is outside the protection of the law, then they need to protect it themselves which, in a country like the US, means being armed. Even someone like Killer Mike, who is a legit businessman and activist and was pleading with rioters in Atl to go home, is a vociferous advocate for black people arming themselves because he simply doesn't trust in the protection of law enforcement.

The drug and gun culture, such as it is, didn't just spring up from nowhere.

IANAHistorian

So they've built their own economy outside of the state and have their own means of protecting it. If they're outside of the state then they have necessarily to deal in things the state does not control, black market stuff, drugs, strip clubs and the like. And if they distrust law enforcement, and they are operating an economy which is outside the protection of the law, then they need to protect it themselves which, in a country like the US, means being armed. Even someone like Killer Mike, who is a legit businessman and activist and was pleading with rioters in Atl to go home, is a vociferous advocate for black people arming themselves because he simply doesn't trust in the protection of law enforcement.
That's a recipe for civil war

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
start with racism from other black people to black people,
Um, that's not racism. That is just gang violence. It happens with white, asian and Hispanic gangs too. What we're talking about here is the oppression of black people that has been happening for centuries. Sorting out guns, gangs and drugs is a separate issue, and the needless associated deaths are tragic, but it isn't racism or oppression. That's just idiots killing each other. The issue is about so-called upstanding white people (mostly) killing, or harming, or denying basic human rights and opportunities to other people just becasue their skin tone doesn't match the oppressors'

AndyRM

XOXO
There's (predominantly white) armed right wing militia literally walking the streets of US cities. It's not exactly a new thing but still, the absolute state of these lads.

View attachment 531640

The way I look at drug and gun culture in black America is this: Black Americans tried to create their own economy, legitimately and within the bounds of society and the law. They did very well in places like Tulsa, and then white people destroyed it. They literally rained fire down from the sky and burned it to the ground. And even since then, black people have been marginalised and disadvantaged. Law enforcement has not helped them and has been complicit over the years in destruction of property, beatings and lynchings.

The drug and gun culture, such as it is, didn't just spring up from nowhere.

IANAHistorian
A fitting tune:

View: https://youtu.be/EfY7EXzv-QE

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad
The thread going in a hip hop-wards direction has reminded me that I previously defended Tim Westwood on here (for the way he talked and his role in platforming hip hop). Anyway his name is trending at the moment due to alleged predatory tendencies towards young black women over a number of years. So whilst, as someone with an older brother who grew up loving hip hop as an act of resistance in a deeply conservative pocket of the country, I stand by some of those points, I hereby revoke any previous endorsements of him as a person, and add by way of an apology that if white people listened less to one another and more often to black people, we might discover sooner all those things black people already know...

This was over a year ago and I admit I'm only just across the story...

View: https://twitter.com/mikewhoatv/status/1274997322997477377?s=20

AndyRM

XOXO
The thread going in a hip hop-wards direction has reminded me that I previously defended Tim Westwood on here (for the way he talked and his role in platforming hip hop). Anyway his name is trending at the moment due to alleged predatory tendencies towards young black women over a number of years. So whilst, as someone with an older brother who grew up loving hip hop as an act of resistance in a deeply conservative pocket of the country, I stand by some of those points, I hereby revoke any previous endorsements of him as a person, and add by way of an apology that if white people listened less to one another and more often to black people, we might discover sooner all those things black people already know...

I'll join you in those sentiments.

And add a frustrated "goddamnit" too.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My musical tastes are very lowbrow, but sadly hip hop is not one of them. Country is meh.

Other than folk rock, and some early hard rock, things started going downhill after 10th July 1968.

Sorry the joke didn't quite land..

Said in a hicksville voice

"I like both kinds of music 'Country and Western"

There is some totally ace contemporary music out there, across the spectrum from ambient, through hip hop, to post punk surf rock.

Some references earlier genres, such as you mention, other stuff is very new.

Tune in, turn on, and drop a heavier bass line daddyo.. ^_^

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾

I guess I have the advantage of always thinking he was a talentless nerk whose radio show was unlistenable shite. Not that that has anything to do with the allegations but honestly he is awful.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I didn't know about those allegations either, but he did always sound a bit weird, like he was trying too hard.

And while I'm here, could I also put in a small intersectional voice for overcoming all tendencies towards the glorifying of violence, 'male supremacy' predatory sexual, and other debilitating forms of nasty misogyny.

Guns, knives, glorifying war, violence or threat of violence, as a legitimate means of control ownership or objectifying of women, and their bodies, black women included of course

TBH we as women are totally sick of it, it spoils and restricts many of our lives, kills our children, and creates a fearful atmosphere non conducive to harmonious living, from wherever it stems.

Please sort it out.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Are they justified ? Or is it just anarchy ..?

View attachment 531749
In today's episode of

'Hastily Drawn False Analogies"

We bring up some issues which until only five minutes ago, we weren't even aware of, in order to draw a muddled comparison,
of one issue with another thing all together.

If you're truly concerned about the ethics of your smart phone.

Here is somewhere to start looking.

https://shop.fairphone.com/gb_en/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTZxQLqTOLlLU6WWwuzAjhiCjXiGIs8Am8C47aLOIaa8Yx2_qwHWvwRoC5GEQAvD_BwE

Top Bottom