Actually Waterproof Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jugular

I've been reading (I know, dangerous) about panniers and the impression I get is only Ortlieb panniers are truly waterproof, is this really the case? I'm looking at Revolution or Altura panniers and their 'welded' ranges profess to be waterproof (in fact Altura's standard pannier says it's waterproof) will I still need to line these or can I trust that they will hold up to British weather?

(Information from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative)

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
In popularity the two most that spring to mind are Ortlieb and Carradice, followed by Altura.

The modern 'Roll Top' closure designs are the most popular in the Ortlieb range as in theory they are more waterproof than the more traditional 'lid type' closure. All the Ortlieb panniers that have that design have the word 'Roller' in the description, where as the normal are called names like Bike Packer.
I am not saying that roll top closures in reality are indeed better, it is simply that in the Ortlieb range they out sell the lid closure with us by 8/1. The traditional styled lid type closure does in practice also make ideal weather resistant panniers, we have found that most who want the more traditional styling will often go for more traditionaly made panniers like Carradice Super C, if you want to know what I use then it is Carradice , they are 20 years old and still going strong. They are made of the tried and tested material 'Cotton Duck', the material itself is waterproof but the seams are not taped, so technically they can not advertise it as a waterproof pannier, 'Cotton Duck' is also about as durable as I have seen.

In practice however the material expands when wet closing the seams, I recall touring in the Picos De Europa one summer and carrying four litres of water in 2x 2ltr plastic bottles, one of which split emptying the entire 2lts into the pannier, which held the water like a bucket. I am not saying they are better than Ortlieb, both companies make a superb product, they are just different that's all, I doubt we will see many who have anything negative to say about either and rightly so.

No matter what the pannier areas though I would personally always carry vulnerable items in a poly' bag, moisture is in the air after all, plus in hot showery conditions the bags can sweat.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

domtyler

Über Member
rich p said:
Blinkin' heck, Paul, I had to sit on the other side of the room to read that font.:smile:

If you are running F3 then you can go to view|zoom| select zoom font only and then zoom out. :blush:

yello

Hmmm, I've literally just read that somewhere else Paul! Word for word, on your comprehensive reply to the 'touring bike' thread on the CTC forum. All good advice, not knocking it mind.

I use the Ortleib lid type closure panniers. Excellent quality, robust and definitely waterproof. No problem recommending them on that score. My only comment on the lid closure type is that you have to pack cleverly in the top 1/3 of the pannier, else the lid wont fit properly! That's not an issue with the roll top type - just cram your stuff in and roll the top down.

domtyler

Über Member
I've got both types of Ortliebs and neither have ever even threatened to let in any water, they are completely waterproof and are proven thus. This is why they have such a remarkable reputation and quite rightly get to charge a small premium for their name. Why would you scrimp on this important item and save yourself a few quid but then regret it the moment the heavens open? ;)

pinkkaz

Veteran
I just use Vaude panniers which are water-resistant to start with but then come with a cover to make them waterproof. I've been out in torrential rain and nothing's got wet.

Mind you, I haven't had them that long so don't know how long they will last...

Danny

Legendary Member
Paul_Smith SRCC said:
Well I have I think edited font size on my original post, although it looks the same as it did on my screen, obviously it did not on others though.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Didn't see the original so don't know how big it was. Looks fine now.

Anyway please don't be put off by complaints about font sizes. I am pleased that you are posting here as I have always been impressed by your knowledgeable and detailed posts when I occasionally go onto the CTC forum.

As I don't really have the time and inclination to hang round multiple cycling forums I hope you go on posting here.

Also, the old guard on this forum could do with some new blood to keep them on their toes and stop them obsessing about font sizes ;)

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
yello said:
Hmmm, I've literally just read that somewhere else Paul! Word for word, on your comprehensive reply to the 'touring bike' thread on the CTC forum. All good advice, not knocking it mind...
It is indeed a common question to be asked and to save myself time writing it out again and again and again I do indeed on occasion copy and paste the relevant information from previous times I have aswered the same question; hope that is OK?

I did actually at one time try and mention as much as I could in one post , if the moderators think it appropriate I could reproduce that here?

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

yello

Yep, that's the thread I read Paul. Seriously, I'm not having a go! I'd do the same! Nothing wrong with a bit of 'cut and paste' if what you're cutting and pasting is sound advice. :blush:

I got interested in the bit about gearing for a touring bike, but I'll put any questions I have in my 'light tourer' thread.

domtyler

Über Member
Paul_Smith SRCC said:
It is indeed a common question to be asked and to save myself time writing it out again and again and again I do indeed on occasion copy and paste the relevant information from previous times I have aswered the same question; hope that is OK?

I did actually at one time try and mention as much as I could in one post , if the moderators think it appropriate I could reproduce that here?

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Your fontage use seems to have gone slightly awry again Paul! :blush:

:blush::blush::biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Jugular

Thanks for the reply Paul, I'm not sure it tells me whether the other pannier makes are in any way worse but it has convinced me I might want to consider Ortlieb and Carradice due to the longer lasting qualities.
It was interesting to read your CTC forum post as well but in parts it made me wonder whether I'd ever understand the more technical bits... Oh and one thing that annoyed me was that you write "interms" and not "in terms" but maybe that's just me :blush:.
I'm now in the process of costing things up and wondering how much modernising I need to put my "new" galaxy through. There's so much I could spend money on but I must hold back at least a little for food and camping fees...

Top Bottom