Advantage of cycle shoes + clips over trainers /w no clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slugger_2003

I understand many trainers are not waterproof but cycle shoes are? Apart from that, I see no difference.
Also, doesn't clipping your feet into the peddels make it more dangerous as you can put your feet down/out at will?

dodgy

Some misconceptions in your post. First of all, cycling shoes aren't necessarily water proof.

The main benefit of cycling shoes is the reinforced and stiffened sole plate which ensures your feet don't 'wrap' around the pedal, which is what happens with trainers. When your feet 'wrap', you're wasting energy bending your foot which would be better channeled into turning the cranks and pushing you forward.
Lastly, the danger associated with having your feet attached to pedals is a perception amongst those that have yet to try it.

I don't know anyone that has gone to clipless pedals and regretted it.

Dave.

OP
OP
S

slugger_2003

Do the shoes really make that much of a difference to warrant the extra cost on a specific piece of kit (I wouldn't mind spending £80ish if they could be used elsewhere)?
What is the advantage in strapping one's feet to the pedals?

dodgy

Some cyclists would say it's the single most effective upgrade on any bike. I wouldn't go that far, but once you've done the obvious like fitted the right tyres for the type of riding you're doing and pumped them up to the right pressure, then yes, clipless pedals should be next.

You'll just have to trust me (maybe others will chime in), clipless pedals are a revelation, but you'll have to try them yourself to really understand why.

Dave.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Agree with dodgy.

Even before clipless pedals serious rider had their feet fixed to the pedals. A slotted plate was fitted to the sole of the shoe and engaged on the rear plate of the pedal cage, the toe strap then being tightened so your foot could not pull out of the pedal. Before stopping you had to reach down and flick the quick release on the toe strap so you could remove your foot, which puts the quick twist of the ankle needed to release from a clipless pedal into perspective.

I could not imagine how anyone could get more than a minimal amount of power into the pedal stroke with their feet flapping loosely on the pedal.

yenrod

Slugger: I can guarantee you they are not strapped to the pedals.

Very safe - I had a big crash and the foot released immediately.

In fact 99 times out of a 100 they will release when you need them too !

1 - All the shoes you can buy are invariably stiff

2 - Pedals: most have adjustable springs on them so, at 1st - set them real soft so you come out of them - very easily !

3 - They'll improve your riding/style/security and whatever else when you actually get some.

Its a WIN WIN WIN situation. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any shoe is going to get wet inventually.

OP
OP
S

slugger_2003

I'm only planning on cycling short distances, maximum of 2 miles but most of it is a maxture of serious up and down hill on roads. At the moment my bike has Michellin tyres, can't see any kind of model number on them, all it says is 26 x 2.00, which I presume means they have a diameter of 26"? What does the 2.00 mean? 2" wide? What size/type of tyre should I be looking at for road use? I presume changing the width of tyre would also mean having to change the wheels? I have a friend who works for Michelin (who I bought the bike from) who is about to get me some new tyres...anything specific I should ask him for, baring in mind I don't want to have to buy new wheels.

Mr Pig

Clipless pedals and shoes 'are' safer. There is far more chance of you having an accident because your foot has slipped off the pedal than you crashing because your foot is stuck to it.

However there is a compromise. Power Grips:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=12960&categoryID=719

These allow you to wear any shoes you like, or even boots in the winter, but still have them strapped on. Like clipless shoes, you soon get used to twisting your foot out of them and it becomes something you do without thinking about it.

I bought a pair of clipless shoes years ago but I found them far too draughty, my feet were frozen on anything but the hottest days. Just a poor choice of shoe obviously but a costly mistake, they're still lying in the bottom of the wardrobe being no use for anything else.

I tried Power Grips and they are ideal for me, I have a new set on the desk here as I've worn out my first set. I can use them going to work, going out at the weekend, whatever, and don't need to worry about what shoes I have on. I think they might suit you well too.

The Allan bolts in the front strap clamp are a bit soft and are best replaced. Also, front plate bends out over time and you need to tighten the strap to compensate. However once they've settled down the straps will last for years and need no further attention. Here are some more revues of them:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/Extras/power-grips/pedal-strap/PRD_360092_117crx.aspx

Mr Pig

As for tyres, Specialized Nimbus Armadillo are reasonably fast rolling and almost totally puncture resistant. I'm on my third set. Be aware however that road tyres like this are virtually useless on anything at all muddy and slippy. Use them off road and you're probably falling off. For commuting etc though, ideal.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6798&catID=124

dodgy

Powergrips still going :eek: I had a pair of them back in the early 90s, I thought they were pretty good actually, but I also had to replace them as they do wear out.

My vote is still for a pair of clipless pedals with shoes, though.

Dave.

OP
OP
S

slugger_2003

Ah, ok, I'll check out powergrips, cheers.
With respect to the tyres, does one not get different kinds of Michelin tyres that I could ask my friend to get me? He works for Michelin so gets them cheap, any recommendations for this specific manufacturer?

Mr Pig

slugger_2003 said:
does one not get different kinds of Michelin tyres?

Probably. I've never looked so don't know. I've seen Continental tyres recommended on here regularly but I've never used them either, not road ones anyway. I stick with the Nimbus because I know they're very puncture proof but I'm sure that other brands will make good tyres of this type too.

Power Grips always have been hard to find. For some reason only a few shops stock them and you rarely hear about them. I don't know why as they're such an effective design.

Oh, if you buy them make sure you don't buy the Extra Long ones. You'd need feet like an elephant for those things to be any use to you!

OP
OP
S

slugger_2003

I'm size UK 11/12(depending on manufacturer)...is that elephant-like enough to need to buy the extra long ones?
Continental tyres...that a brand or type of Michelin? Is Nimbus a brand?

PrettyboyTim

Those powerclips sound like an interesting alternativer to toe clips, which are what I use. I don't bother doing them up tightly, but they do a quite effective job of keeping my feet on the pedals.

I did consider getting a clipless setup for a bit, but I didn't like the shoes. Even with the ones with recessed cleats it felt like I was wearing clogs.

Top Bottom