Adverts for large engine cars to be banned?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607147

Aside from the shocking statistic that 4 in every 10 cars sold are SUV's and only 2 in 100 are Electric, 66% of all Journey's according to the cycling embassy made by motor vehicle is under 5 miles so something really is amiss...

I really cannot see how banning adverts for large German Saloons and obese SUV's are going to change much. Really, i'd prefer more positive promotions such as cycling and the health benefits involved.

How about instead of negative steps such as banning of adverts, why don't we legislate that adverts simply show the realities of motoring in Britain? Sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day, breathing everyone else's noxious air, with those around you pipping their horns, picking their nose, road raging and illegally checking their phones for any new grindr contacts?

Personally, i think it's a waste of time and whoever suggested it should be relegated to the franking machine...

Last edited:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Why not train drivers - as part of learning to drive - how to drive more efficiently? Substantial savings can be made in fuel consumption by a change in driving style and using the technology to the full that modern cars usually have.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607147

Aside from the shocking statistic that 4 in every 10 cars sold are SUV's and only 2 in 100 are Electric, 66% of all Journey's according to the cycling embassy made by motor vehicle is under 5 miles so something really is amiss...

I really cannot see how banning adverts for large German Saloons and obese SUV's are going to change much. Really, i'd prefer more positive promotions such as cycling and the health benefits involved.

How about instead of negative steps such as banning of adverts, why don't we legislate that adverts simply show the realities of motoring in Britain? Sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day, breathing everyone else's noxious air, with those around you pipping their horns, picking their nose, road raging and illegally checking their phones for any new grindr contacts?

Personally, i think it's a waste of time and whoever suggested it should be relegated to the franking machine...
Actually, I think it's a start. That 40% of cars are SUV types says something - nobody gives a flyingfcuk about the environment.
Ban advertising, and stick a big fat tax on them based on a combination of Urban fuel consumption and vehicle weight (more weight = more material resources, tyre wear, road wear)
Also increase tax on Fuel.... (I know it's regressive, but we obviously need more nudging)....

cougie uk

Über Member
Why not train drivers - as part of learning to drive - how to drive more efficiently? Substantial savings can be made in fuel consumption by a change in driving style and using the technology to the full that modern cars usually have.
Whilst we are at it we could train them not to drive like morons but I think this is a task beyond anyone. There's a lot of idiots out there.

OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I rather suspect that at least here in Britain, that would be tossed aside like the correct use of indicators are the moment you pass your test. But then that is me being negative right there, when im trying to promote positivity. :whistle:

Scotty55

So where does that leave me? I’ve got a Land Rover Discovery, but am planning on using my bike for the daily commute to school whenever possible. Should I be ditching the Disco and going for an e-vehicle? One which has batteries made from rare, highly toxic and difficult to mine materials? What’s the environmental impact of destroying a perfectly good 10 year old car for a brand new one? I heard a stat (a long time ago, admittedly) that 85% of the environmental impact of a car was caused during the manufacturing process. Scrapping the Disco would merely add to that.

Anyway, I love my Disco and I’m keeping it as long as possible.

Scotty55

And I drive like Miss Daisy’s chauffeur - always at or below the speed limit, with as little hard braking as possible. Not for environmental reasons, but because a 3.5 tonne car is a thirsty bugger and I’m mean.

Scotty55

Oh yeah, and I always give cyclists lots of room and don’t sit on their tails. Annoys the hell out of the Beamer and Audi drivers stuck behind me whilst I wait for a suitable opportunity to overtake.

dodgy

Legendary Member
So where does that leave me? I’ve got a Land Rover Discovery, but am planning on using my bike for the daily commute to school whenever possible. Should I be ditching the Disco and going for an e-vehicle? One which has batteries made from rare, highly toxic and difficult to mine materials? What’s the environmental impact of destroying a perfectly good 10 year old car for a brand new one? I heard a stat (a long time ago, admittedly) that 85% of the environmental impact of a car was caused during the manufacturing process. Scrapping the Disco would merely add to that.

Anyway, I love my Disco and I’m keeping it as long as possible.
This is about banning the adverts of new cars, nobody is advertising your 10 year old car.

Top Bottom