Adverts on the BBC News website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Went onto the BBC News site this morning and there was an advert for the Cadillac CTS Sports Sedan and another for FedEx. A quick Google revealed that the BBC are selling advertising space to users outside of the UK to try to fix a £2bn shortfall in their budget and keep the licence fee down. (No idea why it thinks i'm outside the UK).

Fine by me but it looks a bit strange seeing an advertisement on anything to do with the BBC.

Norm

Went onto the BBC News site this morning and there was an advert for the Cadillac CTS Sports Sedan and another for FedEx. A quick Google revealed that the BBC are selling advertising space to users outside of the UK to try to fix a £2bn shortfall in their budget and keep the licence fee down. (No idea why it thinks i'm outside the UK).

Fine by me but it looks a bit strange seeing an advertisement on anything to do with the BBC.
They've been doing it for years, and it's down to GeoIP tagging. If your employer, or your ISP, routes traffic out to the 'net which picks up an IP address which is anywhere other than the UK, you'll be seeing the adverts.

The bad news is that there's a lot of other content which is blocked outside the UK, and you'll struggle to get iPlayer to work.

I was working for an American company when the Beeb started this shite. My homepage went from BBC News to the Guardian and I've never really got back into the BBC sites since.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I visit the Beeb site several times a day, including while travelling, so I don't even notice the banner ads any more. What are annoying are the ads you get before any video story.

Norm

You can't get ITV's player in France either. I'd love to know if there's any way of getting round the embargo.
It might be suggested that finding a UK-based proxy server which allows flash videos would resolve your problems.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
It might be suggested that finding a UK-based proxy server which allows flash videos would resolve your problems.

I dunno what Geolocator product the BBC use, but most of them know which IP addresses come from Proxies, the more you pay the better the product's data. The BBC does this as it generally only has UK rights for programmes - my guess is they pay top dollar for their Geolocation to avoid litigation from content providers.

BSRU

A Human Being
It is to do with where the IP address is registered, my work IP has stayed the same but according to the BBC I have moved from the US to France, this is due to the US company I work for now being owned by the French, so now I work for a French company.

gavintc

Guru
I have been watching BBC adverts since arrival here in Italy. To be honest, I do not have an issue with it. I do not pay for a UK TV licence, so the Beeb needs to make its money from somewhere. I also understand, but find it irritating that I cannot get the iplayer programmes. If the Beeb wants to charge foreign TV companies for programmes that they sell, it would seriously undermine this revenue stream if you could simply watch the programmes online.

Norm

When I was working for the American company, I used a UK proxy to access the Beeb. It worked fine for the words but the one I used (and no, I can't remember which one it was) wouldn't allow video through. It got rid of the ads, though, and allowed me to choose a UK location for local news.

Davidc

Guru
BBC World has had adverts on it for years. (Satellite channel widely available around the world)

I'm waiting to see if the radio service (world service) starts advertising on outlets and frequencies not available in the UK when it's no longer funded by the FO

I have been watching BBC adverts since arrival here in Italy. To be honest, I do not have an issue with it. I do not pay for a UK TV licence, so the Beeb needs to make its money from somewhere. I also understand, but find it irritating that I cannot get the iplayer programmes. If the Beeb wants to charge foreign TV companies for programmes that they sell, it would seriously undermine this revenue stream if you could simply watch the programmes online.
You can't see Italian RAI output on the web in the UK either. However, this is maybe not such a great loss :sad: I hope you are talking about another channel than BBC World Gavin - one of the most pointless channels I have ever seen - a waste of any sort of bandwidth and not worthy of the BBC, for which I generally have a great deal of respect, even more so after experiencing the sheer mind-rot that is the vast majority of Italy's TV output.

Top Bottom