Advice for a New 'un

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc

Evening all. I'm going to take the plunge and start cycling to work. I do a litlte bit of cycling, but like many it's just a old, cheap mountain bike for the local roads with the kids.

So, my plan is to drive some way to work, park at a mates house and cycle the reminaing 12 miles. I know I'll have to build up for awhile but I think I can do it. The roads are all fast B-roads with a few hills. I popped into a couple of local independent bike shops today and came home more confused than ever.

Which would people recommend: A Raleigh Pioneer (the sportier one at £440) or a Specialize Tricross (£750). I don't mind spending the extra if it is worth it. I want to go relatively fast but need a rack and panniers, mud guards etc... Is it just a waste of time putting those on bike like the Tricross?

Help! I'm sure this get asked a lot here - but I thought, why not ask again!

Thanks.

I appreciate any advice.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd go for the Tricross. This assumes that all your riding will be on the roads, so a more road-orientated bike will be much better - more comfortable over a long distance, lighter, and therefore easier to ride over hills.

Yes, problem is that there are so many different options and prices that it is very difficult to know where to start. The important bit is getting out there and enjoying it.

Lok169

Über Member
I'd say the Raleigh, as it seems to be designed more or less for what you are doing - commuting, The money you save could then be put into mud guards, a rack, panniers and such. Of course this is just my opinion, others will likely disagree.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Go for the Tricross. Spending extra cash gets you better quality components which last longer. Whatever bike you choose, it'll get a fair amount of wear & tear due to daily commuting so better quality goes further, financially speaking. Good luck on your commute, just make it part of your daily routine and after a few weeks, it'll feel like you've done it forever.

WychwoodTrev

Hi and welcome sorry to throw a spanner in the works but my choice would be a giant defy a fast comfortable bike and the defy 4 canbe bought for around £525 the defy 3 £625 defy 2 £750 impo all good bikes for what you need again sorry not t go with either of the options. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy : )

:welcome:

I'm a tricross rider and would recommend it; it'll take you the distance in comfort and carry everythig you want. I've ridden mine on tracks and trails with no problems either, but it is most comfortable on roads. At 12 miles, you're probably going to benefit from the different hand/arm positions the drop bars give you, but if your 12 miles is mainly through urban traffic you might want to consider a flat bar bike with a more upright position.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A caveat - whichever bike you decide on, make sure you've ridden that model and size before you buy. Some people don't get on with some bikes, so it's best to do some test riding down at your LBS (local bike shop).

A caveat - whichever bike you decide on, make sure you've ridden that model and size before you buy. Some people don't get on with some bikes, so it's best to do some test riding down at your LBS (local bike shop).

+1

Especially with the Tricross as some people don't like the toe overlap of the front wheel.

Another option, a little more relaxed than the Tricross, fully kitted out ready to commute in most weathers: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C440&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018343

Bigsharn

Veteran
Hi and welcome sorry to throw a spanner in the works but...

I see your spanner and raise you a monkey wrench

If you're just starting to return to cycling, it might be worth looking at some older bikes, stuff like those that might be in the for sale threads *. This being a cyclist forum, they're more likely to have been looked after properly than getting a random one off Ebay, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new

*I'd like to point out here and now that I have nothing up in the classifieds at the moment, and aren't advertising anything in particular for sale in there, it's just an idea to save a bit of money that could be spent elsewhere.

pip ryder

The roads are all fast B-roads

I never get on with B roads. I avoid them where possible, although local conditions vary. A lot of car drivers are surprised that some of the roads I take exist, they just don't notice them. www.openstreetmap.org is great for finding good routes.

Other than that, definitely buy John Franklin's Cyclecraft book and read it. You'll be a much safer rider with it.

Which would people recommend: A Raleigh Pioneer (the sportier one at £440) or a Specialize Tricross (£750).

My vote would be for the Tricross, but why is the choice between those two? I'm sure there are many more suitable bikes between those two price ranges.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Doc...Welcome, glad you found us.

Do you not have a dusty old bike in the shed that you could try out first just to see how you get on before you crack on and buy a bike….you may like the experience so much that you decide on a totally different steed or equally hate it so much that you’d wish you’d spent your £400 on an xbox

Also, if I may be so bold, check out the "Essential guide to commuting" (its contained in a sticky at the top of the commuting forum) it contains advice on all styles of bikes and other stuff you may find helpful.

If pushed I'd vote for the tricross.

Jonny

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Another vote for the tricross!

I have no experience of hte releigh though.

But with a tricross you have drop bars witch gives more hand positions, and should you decide you like cycling on the road than a quick change of tyre (Or wheels and tyres if you really get into it) will see you with a competant road machine.
As for guards and racks, well worth it in my opinion. I had my gym kit, an argos catalog and a few days of shopping in my MTX trunk bag and despite being a bit slower it didnt really feel any different, put all that in a rucksack and I woudl have been a sweaty mess.

Heres mine...

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

A good bit of advice I was given, "you won't be a novice for long..... don't bridge the gap, just get a decent road bike."

I would suggest that you shopped around the LBS's, browse Ebay for any nearby steals and trawl through the free ads before taking the plunge and buying a cheap brand new bike.

There are always hidden gems around and for the money you're considering, you could get a far better "rarely used/unwanted gift/change of circumstaces" bike than a Tricross.

barongreenback

Über Member
I've been commuting a similar distance for a while now on a Specialized Sirrus. Great hybrid but boy, do I prefer my Secteur (upgraded a couple of weeks ago). Will still keep the Sirrus for Winter commutes though.

Top Bottom