Advice on cycling groups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba1off

I'm new to cycling and my age is 48 and weight in at 19st.
There are cycling groups that I've found in my local area. I feel it's easier to cycle along with someone like minded than by yourself.
However one of these groups that I have found cycle in a group of around 10-15 members when I've seen them out on my travels, all of them have road bikes where as I have a hybrid!
I'm not able to cycle every weekend due to work commitments but would like and try a group. I'm also concerned that my fitness and speed of which I cycle would not be the same as the members on road bikes. Would it be worth trying a ride with the group or will I just end up on my own or holding the group back. Anybody in a cycling group have any advice on whether I would be made welcome or be seen as a burden to other riders. I would not wish to spoil anyones weekend ride due to having to hang back for a newbie.
Thanks
Mark
Warrington Cheshire

vickster

Legendary Member
CTC have beginners groups etc, check out the link http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3378

There is also the rides forum on here to have a look through http://www.cyclechat.net/forum/19-cc-informal-rides-and-events/

I think there are quite a lot of members around the NW, so may be worth posting a ride thread yourself?

Good luck :smile:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I'm new to cycling and my age is 48 and weight in at 19st.
There are cycling groups that I've found in my local area. I feel it's easier to cycle along with someone like minded than by yourself.
However one of these groups that I have found cycle in a group of around 10-15 members when I've seen them out on my travels, all of them have road bikes where as I have a hybrid!
I'm not able to cycle every weekend due to work commitments but would like and try a group. I'm also concerned that my fitness and speed of which I cycle would not be the same as the members on road bikes. Would it be worth trying a ride with the group or will I just end up on my own or holding the group back. Anybody in a cycling group have any advice on whether I would be made welcome or be seen as a burden to other riders. I would not wish to spoil anyones weekend ride due to having to hang back for a newbie.
Thanks
Mark
Warrington Cheshire

Hey mark! i'm based in warrington m8 and i'm also on a hybrid, like you i've not registered with any local groups yet as they all have roadies and i'm not all that fast, especially up hills.
i'd be happy to meet up in town and do a run with you if you want?
pete

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It's worth making further enquiries about non-wheeler groups - my club has a broad range of abilities and the emphasis is on exploring the area via excellent coffee shops. Or the pub, on an evening ride. Several of our members are also Wheelers but we provide much better banter. :tongue: The policy is to set the pace so that everyone can keep up and enjoy themselves - or to split into two groups if there's lots of us.

E11a

I'm in Southport , have a hybrid and only went back to cycling last year so not as fit as I'd like to be.

I'd be interested in a nice, relaxed bike ride in the North West.

Top Bottom