Advice on getting an old new bike ready, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would definitely regrease the wheel bearings. Here is a good guide - http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html and http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

If the headset bearing turns smoothly and has no play, I would leave it as it is. If you do feel the need to work on it, you should find a guide on Sheldon's site for that too.

The saddle is really up to you. If you find it comfortable, I would use it.

I would inspect the tyres for cracks/perishing. The tubes should be okay if they still hold air. I use a bike with 40 year old tubes/tyres without problems (not for long distance riding, admittedly).

gbb

Legendary Member
Having upgraded a Clubman myself, i'd put one thing over that occured to me afterwards...Ive spoiled the originality of the bike. (the components on mine were cheap and cream crackered anyway, so i had little choice)
If yours is that good Crock, i'd personally try to keep it as original as possible.

Personally, i'd do the hubs and re-grease them. Grease does harden over time..and when i say harden, its not like it goes rock hard, but its probably not going to get moved around inside the hub as well as it should.

jimboalee

And you need some retro clothing.

Wooly Tudor plusses, long plaid stockings, plate shoes, Wooly L/S jersey with zipped back pockets, banana hat, Raleigh team cap, leather crothet mittens, Pipe.

And anybody who was anybody had a full zip Clear racecape.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
If you want shoes - these are lovely - cost as much as your bike mind CoG!!

lovely
God, those are gorgeous! Not that I'd buy 'em mind - that's more than I spend on bikes - but wow!

bigjim

Legendary Member
Don't know if you already regreased but I must point out that I greased the pedal axles before I posted the bike to facilitate packing so that won't be original.
Jim

Top Bottom