advice on sleeping bag please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
what sleeping bag would you folk recommend for this time off the year ,i just need one to get me bye until i can afford to buy a really good one.

campagman

Guru
Where are you going, what will the temperature be?

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
sorry im staying in ireland ,i have a good mat in the exped down mat i cant afford to spend a lot of money at the moment i have my eye on the stormlite rolling clouds 750 and 500 but down bags but not just yet.

JackE

Über Member
sleeping bags

Try: www.alpkit.com. They have excellent quality down bags at very good prices. I've just bought their Pipedream 400 for £110 (weight 780 gms) and it's the best/lightest bag I've owned in over 30 years of backpacking and cycle camping. They sell "cheaper" down bags which are a bit heavier.
Don't buy a cheapie bag even as a stop gap. Better to invest in a decent one from the outset. A good down bag should last you 15-20 years.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks jacke great advice i think you could be right i hate buying stuff that dosen't preform as it should get what you pay for ,would the pipedream 400 hold up against the stormlite750 its 20 pounds cheaper thanks.

I had this (until it was nicked) and would thoroughly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/030357-Ajun...sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1213541108&sr=1-3

i used it with the Exped 7 down mat.

JackE

Über Member
sleeping bags

In my current Field and Trek catalogue the Rolling Clouds 750 is £120 and weighs 1567 gms (twice the weight of the Pipedream). As they both go "down" to -3 deg C, it's an easy decision!!! . Also, the packed size of the Pipedream is really small, which is a very important factor for me.
It's the quality of the down and the lightness of the fabric that Alpkit uses which makes the difference in weight and bulk.

Jags, also consider the Cumulus Quantum 350, for £140 - I've just used mine in Brittany and it was fine - not sure I'd want to go down to -3 with it, but I did realise the importance of pulling up the drawstring to keep out the drafts.

JackE

Über Member
sleeping bags

I tried the Cumulus Quantum 350 but found it a bit too tight around my shoulders. I'm not exactly built like a prop forward but was worried about the zip's life-span. IMO it's a superb bag if you're "slender". Alpkit have recently increased the width of their Pipedream bags by a few inches and it makes a big difference in comfort to us "bigger blokes".

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
so is there a specific size i should get ,me been several inches short of six foot ,well better than saying 5 foot 6.

Top Bottom