Advice please as I've just entered the most important Sporting Event of 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Won't a cake made of Fairy liquid be a bit green and strange-tasting?

ChrisKH

Guru
Two bits of advice.

1. Practice. Make some before the day send them to me and I will judge critically.

2. It's all in the butter icing and presentation. Be generous with the wings you cut off the top. Make the presentation simple and delicious looking.

3. Take yourself down to M & S (or one of those new upmarket cup cake companies) for ideas. Consider making some up of different types. M & S do a Belgian chocolate cupcake which you could easily do as a fairy cake. Use quality ingredients.

PS I can't count and this is making me hungry. ;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
User1314 said:
I've entered a competition taking place on Friday June 12th and I'm in it to win it. I need serious advice as I need to start training for this now. Expert advice needed from the sage Cycle Chatters as it's the first time I've tried this event.

I have thrown my hat in the ring, at our Office Summer Party, to be crowned:

"FAIRY CAKE MAKER CHAMPION OF 2009"

The cakes will be judged on both looks and taste. I need to make the cakes at home then take it to the party (with a photo of me making it as evidence that it is my own work).

Like Mohammed Ali, like Sir Fergie, like Daley Thompson I will not accept second place. So I plan to approach the competition scientifically, passionately and by giving it 101% of controlled aggresion.

Anyone know any decent receipes, can offer tips and advice on that "something special" to make my Fairy Cakes the best?

Good job its not the chamions league of fairy cakes or you would settle for 2nd!

ChrisKH has the right idea, do some shopping, research and tasting. Take advice from the likes of Ramsey/Blanc/Marco and Ainlsey Harriott and keep it simple. A belgian chocolate fairy cake is an awesome idea and will get the female vote!

What about a fairy cheese cake (ok that sounded wrong) you get those Gu mini cheese cakes in little glass bowls a mini cheese cake would be great and they are easy peasy to make.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
When your making it, remember to make love to it, dont **** it;)
Dont use an electric whisk or any other electrical items(beisdes an oven) to put some of that true love into it, and maybe a little sweat.
Practice first, try out different ideas. Get these ideas from looking around the internet, in super markets and thinking about it.
For presentation, take your time. Dont rush it. Make sure the cakes are cool, and get the butter cream just right. Try different ideas with the decoration of the cake, and see which looks best.
Maybe take some pictures and put them up on here and we shall vote? (Or send us all some;))

bonj2

User1314 said:
I've entered a competition taking place on Friday June 12th and I'm in it to win it. I need serious advice as I need to start training for this now. Expert advice needed from the sage Cycle Chatters as it's the first time I've tried this event.

I have thrown my hat in the ring, at our Office Summer Party, to be crowned:

"FAIRY CAKE MAKER CHAMPION OF 2009"

The cakes will be judged on both looks and taste. I need to make the cakes at home then take it to the party (with a photo of me making it as evidence that it is my own work).

Like Mohammed Ali, like Sir Fergie, like Daley Thompson I will not accept second place. So I plan to approach the competition scientifically, passionately and by giving it 101% of controlled aggresion.

Anyone know any decent receipes, can offer tips and advice on that "something special" to make my Fairy Cakes the best?

My advice is not to weigh anything out to the precise gram - that way it will taste a lot more 'home made' and less clinical.
Oh, and put a tiny tiny (must be only a little bit) of SALT in the mixture. the human tastebud is very susceptible to the fundamental tastes of sugar and salt mixed together - it's because one is tasted by the back/sides of your tongue and the other by the front, so by combining them you're using your whole tongue. it's the reason why foods like jam and butter on toast, and sweet and sour chinese are so nice.
If you put a tiny bit in they wont' know that that's the reason why they taste really nice, but they will.

I would 'embed' secret stuff into a scooped out bit of each cake Crock...maybe a couple of blueberries dunked in chocolate, melon with salt - chilli chocolate - you know tha oddball combos (I'm not talking about stuffing your shorts in a cake either :tongue:) - just a hint of something different. Put back the covering, spread the butter icing - then send them to Chris and ilb for testing. :biggrin:

Alternatively, get a load of paper and pleat yourself the biggest fairy cake container for your oven size and go for a big'un...decorate the top with ordinary sized cakes welded on with icing!

Wolf04

bonj said:
My advice is not to weigh anything out to the precise gram - that way it will taste a lot more 'home made' and less clinical.
Oh, and put a tiny tiny (must be only a little bit) of SALT in the mixture. the human tastebud is very susceptible to the fundamental tastes of sugar and salt mixed together - it's because one is tasted by the back/sides of your tongue and the other by the front, so by combining them you're using your whole tongue. it's the reason why foods like jam and butter on toast, and sweet and sour chinese are so nice.
If you put a tiny bit in they wont' know that that's the reason why they taste really nice, but they will.

Baking is very much a science and too much variation from the recipe will give poor results. Agree that salt works in sweet things though. Your description of how taste buds are distributed however is based on a common misconception,
"One of the most dubious "facts" about taste--and one that is commonly reproduced in textbooks--is the oft-cited but misleading "tongue map" showing large regional differences in sensitivity across the human tongue. These maps indicate that sweetness is detected by taste buds on the tip of the tongue, sourness on the sides, bitterness at the back and saltiness along the edges.
Taste researchers have known for many years that these tongue maps are wrong. The maps arose early in the 20th century as a result of a misinterpretation of research reported in the late 1800s, and they have been almost impossible to purge from the literature.
In reality, all qualities of taste can be elicited from all the regions of the tongue that contain taste buds. At present, we have no evidence that any kind of spatial segregation of sensitivities contributes to the neural representation of taste quality, although there are some slight differences in sensitivity across the tongue and palate, especially in rodents. "

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Joe24 said:
When your making it, remember to make love to it, dont **** it;)
Dont use an electric whisk or any other electrical items(beisdes an oven) to put some of that true love into it, and maybe a little sweat.
Practice first, try out different ideas. Get these ideas from looking around the internet, in super markets and thinking about it.
For presentation, take your time. Dont rush it. Make sure the cakes are cool, and get the butter cream just right. Try different ideas with the decoration of the cake, and see which looks best.
Maybe take some pictures and put them up on here and we shall vote? (Or send us all some;))

Joe, I seem to remember reading last night about your cream supplement in something you made for Mickle, so if these are to be given to the public perhaps you should avoid suggesting any creams? :tongue:

Top Bottom