Advice please - Kona vs Scott and others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WelshYiddo

I started dipping my toe in mtb this summer and I think its fair to say that I'm getting a bit obssessed! I've been riding natural trails - nothing too hairy as I'm still unfit and (if I'm honest) a bit crap but I'm thoroughly enjoying it on my ageing rigid bike.
So now it's time to spend some cash and upgrade to front sus and something a bit lighter/more comfortable/dependable.

I have a budget of around £500-650 and am looking for a hardtail with disc brakes that will be reliable and further my enjoyment.

I've liked the look of Scott Scale 60 & Aspect 20, Kona Hoss & Kula and Specialized Rock Hopper Disc. All are affordable and seem pretty good. But I'm far from any kind of expert. Any opinions/advice would be gratefully received.

LBS nearby also suggested a Marin Bobcat.

I have no idea! They all look shiny and nice!
Please help :biggrin:

Matty

I'll be honest here and admit to not looking at any of your choices, however I've always really rated Kona. My 1991 Cindercone is still an excellent ride and the most important bits have lasted really well.

Surely we are getting into the period when 'last years bikes' get heavily reduced.

Matt

Dimon CCCP

Scott - the best. I have it 10 years - it true and reliable... I Advise to all)))

At us they are more expensive than percent on thirty. So that the question is solved.

JiMBR

I can recommend going Specialized.

I had a Rockhopper Comp Disc before upgrading the frame to the S-Works.

An excellent frame and set-up for the cash IMO, but it's up to personal preference at the end of the day. :laugh:

02GF74

Über Member
Can't go wrong with Specislized, Kona also good brand. .... but then neither Marin nor Scott are bad. Tough choice.

I have had both, and they were both great bikes.

Kona caldera, was so comfortable (for me) xt gearing was faultless. An all round good bike.

Scott Scale 35. Wow! Fantastic, fast on and off road. Seems to absorb the bumps no problem. Not as comfy as the Kona. SRAM X9 gearing again faultless. Avid Juicy 3.5 brakes could be better.

Obviously these two bikes were from very differentt price ranges, you would expect the scott to be better and it was. But I would never discount a Kona, had some great times on mine

Mr Pig

Try to ride the bikes you are thinking about. Bikes can ride very differently and you might really like some and not others.

Most shops will have test bikes you can try out, and if they don't, find another shop. Also, you can hire bikes at trail centres etc. There are lots of ways to do it but it's important that you do. You'll be riding the new bike for a long time and if it's not the right bike for you you'll not enjoy it.

What kind of bike is your old one?

Test ride them to see what suits you. That's the only way to decide.

Mr Pig

Cubist said:
My LBS has a range of Genesis Core in. They look very good value for money, with variants to suit many pockets.

I have a Genesis Altitude which is the steel-framed version. I liked the comfort and spec on these bikes.

OP
OP
WelshYiddo

WelshYiddo

Blimey, I go away for the weekend and there's replies running into 2 pages! More than I thought I would get - ta very much everyone.

To add to the dilema I've been extremely nice to Mrs WelshYiddo (night in London without the kids and a day shopping in Camden) and my budget has upped to £750/800! ;)

Mr Pig - I'm currently on a Gary Fisher Pirhana, bought in 2000/01. It had hardly been ridden until the last 2 years. The only problem I've ever had with it is the bottom bracket going and its been a fine bike.

I'll try and get out on the bikes I fancy but if there's any other nuggets of advice (or warnings) please let me know!

Top Bottom