Advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
The redcogs kids are on summer hols now, and they have arrived at an age where their interest in all things to do with the cyber world is becoming intense. The weather isn't that brill for outside stuff currently, and it would be good for them to be able to access appropriate websites, ie, that stimulate and entertain, sort of junior versions of cyclechat if you like. They already use something called 'Club Penguin', (they are 8 and 9 yrs old), but that seems to seek money in return for very little..

Can anyone offer advice, is anyone aware of any non or minimally 'exploitative' junior type forums that might suit the bill?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
CBBC web site is good, my two use CBEEBIES occasionally.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If they go anywhere near the Habbo Hotel, chop their hads off. I was about that age when Habbo first started, went on because a mate was on.
Whilst going through the rooms in there, i walked in on 2 of the 'habbos' having cyber sex ;)
Worked out it was a bunch of geeks on there and pervs and never went on again.
It will have got worse going by how it got really public.
So any mention of Habbo Hotel, and if i were you, say no.
Dont think there will be any forums around like this but for youngsters. Just fill up the favourits section with loads of game sites for them. Easy.

surfgurl

I don't know of any forums aimmed at kids.
Stick to safe stuff like CBBC, they can watch lots of kids TV on BBC iplayer.
Can you get them to plan a day out for the summer holiday? They can research opening times, stuff they want to see, work out the costings, plan the route, plan a packed lunch etc. That'll keep them occupied.
I would also suggest strongly limiting their internet time. I wish I had insisted this with the Junior Surfs when they were younger, they now spend every moment in the house on the net.

Willow

My children are restricted to 1.5 hrs TV/Computer/PS2 and then they make their own entertainment. I have always been very hard on them in that respect - so if weather is bad it'll be board games, lego etc weather fine outside football, cricket, tennis. They have just cycled to park to play tennis age 10 & 11 a bit older though generally I do go with them. Now they are into the cycling a bit we'll do some of that too.

Have friends over to play 1 each so no one is left out and watch the old toys come out - oh and magnetic football and magnetic football are favorites if you have boys. Also they can have fun in a tent in the garden. The boy computer and telly they have the less able they seem to be able to think of something to play without it.

Willow

also go on the BBC website and there are some touchtyping programmes not that is a skill they could usefully learn in the holidays.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
redcogs said:
The redcogs kids are on summer hols now, and they have arrived at an age where their interest in all things to do with the cyber world is becoming intense. The weather isn't that brill for outside stuff currently, and it would be good for them to be able to access appropriate websites, ie, that stimulate and entertain, sort of junior versions of cyclechat if you like. They already use something called 'Club Penguin', (they are 8 and 9 yrs old), but that seems to seek money in return for very little..

Can anyone offer advice, is anyone aware of any non or minimally 'exploitative' junior type forums that might suit the bill?

my kids love club penguin, but you don't have to pay owt to enjoy it (although i think there is additional content for subscribers).

Top Bottom