Advice to my daughter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Tonight, whilst driving home with elder Noodlette who has just started secondary school this year, she asked for some advice from her wordly wise dad. She's never really asked me anything sensible and mature before so I was quite chuffed.

She asked me: "If you fancy someone should you ask them out?"
After some consideration I replied "I would, but your mum would probably find out knowing my luck"

I don't think that was the response she wanted :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
God help the first lad she brings home to meet you :biggrin:

I'd get away with stuff like that with son no.2 but would have to play with a straight bat for son no.1, otherwise he would berate me.

yello

I seriously hope, given that you say...

She's never really asked me anything sensible and mature before

..., that you gave her a serious answer! It took a ton of courage for her to ask you and it's really serious to her.

But, yes, you should be really pleased that she felt secure enough to ask you.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

yello said:
It took a ton of courage for her to ask you and it's really serious to her.

Of course I did.

I told her the little b****** would only be interested in one thing....:biggrin:

yello

Top stuff! :biggrin:

My father was the eternal piss taker and I gave up asking him anything after a while.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

In seriousness it appears I provide good advice :sad::thumbsup:

She thought that as I was a social worker that I would have experience working with people and would know how to advise her about relationships. She'd obviously given it some thought before asking.

Dave5N

Über Member
Noodley said:
In seriousness it appears I provide good advice :blush::thumbsup:

She thought that as I was a social worker that I would have experience working with people and would know how to advise her about relationships. She'd obviously given it some thought before asking.

And still she went ahead... :sad:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...without getting all heavy and stuff...I think youngsters arte under a lot of pressure to be seen to be 'going out'...if they arn't then oftne they get singled out etc...

...so there is peer pressure....and the inevitable major head damage that can occur from a rejection, especially a public one...so why ask anyone out? Why not just becaome friends and spend time together...the result is th esame and there is less risk of pain...just my 2p worth.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

BigonaBianchi said:
...so there is peer pressure....and the inevitable major head damage that can occur from a rejection, especially a public one...so why ask anyone out? Why not just becaome friends and spend time together...the result is th esame and there is less risk of pain...just my 2p worth.

I had spoken to her and said she should think about what it would mean, and if she had thought about how she and he would feel, what she would feel if he said no and what she would do if he said yes. We had a good chat about it, but I said to have a word with Mrs Noodley cos all I thought about at school was playing footie.

Mrs Noodley took the 'why not just be friends, spend time together' route....the result of this was tears. I think she just wanted a chat and be left to make her own mind up rather than be told a course of action.

Which now means I am 'Supreme Lord of Advice and "at one" with the Kids' :sad:

cchapman

I would have told her not to worry about such things, but instead to concentrate on her netball, working out dance routines with her girlfriends and riding her bike faster than any boy. After all, boys are only nice when they want something.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the first year of secondary school they are still getting to know the other kids (unless it's one that came from her old school). My eldest liked one boy ... but luckily admired from afar his class clown act. By the end of the year she had come to realise that he really isn't boyfriend material at all - always in trouble, never works and only thinks about himself. (It took quite a few paying for his bus fares before she realised though:biggrin:).

Top Bottom