Afternoon...from Sutton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazmeister

Hi Everybody,

Complete beginner here to cycling. Keep fit in other ways (running etc) but for some insane reason I wanted to do the Richmond Duathlon. Couldn't face the shame of bringing along my 1 tonne MTB I bought back in the day, so decided to get on the ladder and bought my first road bike, a entry level Specialized Allez 16 (2010). And now the fun expense begins.
Not even started to look at clothing yet, as to be honest its all so confusing. I don't want to be spending big dollar for top of the range stuff, but at the same time I don't want to waste my hard earned on inferior cheap products that don't do the job properly (wicking).
Will be collecting bike this weekend and doing some short runs to get used to the SPD's/Shoes.
Still getting used to all the terminology, brand names, preferred retailers etc etc...
Looking forward to getting to know you all and gleaning your wisdom ;)

Cheers!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & ;)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Hi Daz - yes it is bewildering the range of stuff on the market but you will soon pick up the basics without making too many mistakes I hope. Best bet is to contact a local club and get some advice from them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello Daz :tongue:

Get yourself down to Decatlhon at Surrey quays and grab some bargain cycling gear! I have 3 pairs of the basic padded shorts and they're still going strong after the best part of 9 months... not bad for 8 quid a pop :biggrin:

Online shops wise - Chainreaction cycles and Wiggle are pretty hard to beat. Ribble is decent too.

Cheers,
SD

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sittingduck said:
Hello Daz :tongue:

Get yourself down to Decatlhon at Surrey quays and grab some bargain cycling gear! I have 3 pairs of the basic padded shorts and they're still going strong after the best part of 9 months... not bad for 8 quid a pop xx(

Online shops wise - Chainreaction cycles and Wiggle are pretty hard to beat. Ribble is decent too.

Cheers,
SD

Or support the fab Pearson's in your town!

(I used to live in Cotswold Road, Belmont many moons ago... Mrs FF is a Morden Girl :biggrin:)

Welcome to the Forum!

OP
OP
D

Dazmeister

Fab Foodie said:
Or support the fab Pearson's in your town!

(I used to live in Cotswold Road, Belmont many moons ago... Mrs FF is a Morden Girl :biggrin:)

Welcome to the Forum!

Cheers for the advice (and warm welcome) guys. I did find Wiggle and reserved a few bits on Decathlon.
I actually ordered my bike from Pearsons. Nice bunch of guys, very friendly and informative and not pushy. Looking forward to the weekend for a run with a good mate of mine who is a member of a Crawley cycling club (don't ask me which one but will find out). He said he would take it easy with me as he normally does 75m. :wacko:

I'm sure I'll have many other questions which I will post in the relevant section.

Cheers :biggrin:

Top Bottom