Air Zound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I am fed up of being treated like thin air by drivers sometimes!

Does anyone have an Air Zound?

My questions are:

1) How loud are they compared to a car horn?

2) How many seconds of blast do you get before you have to pump them up again?

3) Are they easy to pump up?

XmisterIS said:

Yes

XmisterIS said:
My questions are:

About the same, you can sort of adjust the volume by limiting the air flow with a valve. at the highest setting, it is loud.

XmisterIS said:

Enough to last more than one journey with several blasts. I have never timed it from full pressure to empty. Also depends on the setting you have the valve at.

XmisterIS said:

Peice of p**s. The trigger lifts up to reveal a standard schreader valve. So long as you have a pump, you can top it up anywhere in seconds.

They are loud, usually people in cars have heard it.
How long it lasts is dependant on how trigger happy you are and the loud/not as loud valve setting you have it on, also the weather, mine didn't like cold weather so much, but I never tried carrying it in my jacket in the colder months, I wonder if that would have helped.

Alan Whicker

I've got one - well worth it. One problem is that drivers seem to think they're being hooted by another car, rather than a bicycle. Does wake them up though.

They really are incredibly loud - so loud that I have to lift the button up into its safety catch position when the bike's stored in our dining room. I pressed it once indoors and my ears were ringing for half an hour and the cat's never been quite the same since.

I've used it as an emergency measure on dopey jaywalking pedestrians who ignore or don't hear my bell because of headphones. They jump out of their skin, and I end up apologising - not recommended.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm glad this thread came up when it did as I'm totally getting myself an airzound now the drivers seem to be getting seriously careless on my commute recently.

Only dilemma is should I pay £27 for one from my LBS when I can get one online for £18?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I took mine off after a few weeks. For one it's easy to make you trigger happy. But mainly because I found that if I didn't pump it up regularly, then when I got to a time when its use was justifiable it wasn't pressurised enough to be effective.

I still find that there are very few situations where a good shout isn't sufficient.

I'm gald you said that. I nearly bought one, but haven't yet, for two reasons.

1. Chitty has limited real estate on the front bars now (what with twin lights and a defective computer)
2. I wondered if it would "Start" more problems than it solved. I tend to find a good "whooooa" or "excuse me" does the trick in most places.

I'm still in two minds tho

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
I'm glad this thread came up when it did as I'm totally getting myself an airzound now the drivers seem to be getting seriously careless on my commute recently.

Only dilemma is should I pay £27 for one from my LBS when I can get one online for £18?

err if you like paying over the odds, I'll sell you one for £200.

web, delivered to your door .....just make sure it fits your bars (i think there are some size issues)

No airzound for me. Personally I think they are a bit aggressive. If a pedestrian runs out in front of me, then they can hear me shout (I can shout loud!). If a car pulls out on front of me and I am considering using an airzound, then I have time to avoid the car anyway. I'd only be using the airzound to sound displeasure (not a good reason IMO).

The only time it might come in useful (IMO) is if for some reason a vehicle is starting to squash you from the side and hasn't seen you, although I should be avoiding such situations anyway byt he way I ride. Therefore, I'd probably only use it inappropriately.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I expect they just ignore me then! I have screamed at the top of my voice at cars who have just plain cut me up before - and they act like I'm not there.

Makes me think that if they ignore me shouting, perhaps they'll ignore the 'zound as well.

Upon reflection, there are idiots who ignore me beeping at them on my motorbike - and I have fitted a seriously loud horn to that! The usual trick is for them to start driving at me, I beep at them and they just keep on coming!

Armegatron

XmisterIS said:

My questions are:

1) I shown my collegue this when I received it the other week, he was very impressed with how loud it sounded and even reckoned it was louder than a cars horn.

2) Not sure, but it seems to last long enough for me.

3) Very easy & quick too.

Just be careful that you dont accidently lean on it like I did - I jumped a mile! xx(

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
If a car pulls out on front of me and I am considering using an airzound, then I have time to avoid the car anyway. I'd only be using the airzound to sound displeasure (not a good reason IMO).

that is a VERY good point.

you've just made my mind up. thanks Mag (not the firts time I've taken your advice;))

Jezston

Über Member
magnatom said:
The only time it might come in useful (IMO) is if for some reason a vehicle is starting to squash you from the side and hasn't seen you, although I should be avoiding such situations anyway byt he way I ride. Therefore, I'd probably only use it inappropriately.

This is why I'm thinking of getting one, and having seen the videos people have put on YouTube where the drivers actually stop when the horn goes off.

Not sure how change the way I ride can stop busses and HGV's looking at the gap rather than what's in it!

Jezston said:
This is why I'm thinking of getting one, and having seen the videos people have put on YouTube where the drivers actually stop when the horn goes off.

Not sure how change the way I ride can stop busses and HGV's looking at the gap rather than what's in it!

But this tends to happen slowly and if I have positioned myself correctly I should have an escape route.

Oh and you can always slap the side of the vehicle.. xx(