Airfix. "That's all you need to know"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
surfgurl said:
I bought Mr Surf 3 airfix kits and a new wagon for his train set for Christmas. You wouldn't guess he is nearly 47.
He has been planning a layout for his train set, which he is starting to build. It's a small coastal town in WW2 complete with harbour and obligatory pile of scrap aircraft. Well he has to use some of the models that got broken in the last house move.

"OH yes we would!";)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Has anyone read Thunder and Lightnings? Kids book by Jan Mark, about a boy who moves to Norfolk and makes friends with a boy who's into planes. A lovely little story about friendship, and to some extent loss, with a slightly sad ending - the boy's beloved English Electric Lightnings are replaced by Jaguars. But really captures the love you can feel for something like an aeroplane.

simonali

Guru
I'd really like on of the limited edition Tamiya 1:12th car kits, but they sell for about £200-400! Cool though, if you can afford them. :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's my dad's favourite engine.

My best memories are of Gordon, the blue ex-forces engine at the SVR. Currently beneath a huge dust sheet at highley I believe.

P and O was the engine Tom volunteered on as a teenager and onwards, and he took me along to see her a few times - that was the first time I'd seen a steam loco from the ground, not a platform, and I suddenly realised how huge they are. I spent a whole afternoon once, helping to clean out one of her mechanical lubricators.

Oh, and yes, 'bloody Chipmunks' are in Thunder and Lightnings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sometimes I wonder if we were separated at birth!

you don't still have the book do you?

I think I do. You want to borrow it? I'd want it back, because my it was a present from my Mum a couple of years back to replace my childhood copy, which got borrowed and never came back... But you'd be welcome...

Arch

Married to Night Train
S'ok Archie, it's no secret that I'll be up your way shortly.
Unless you're trying to keep it from Patrick.

If so, :biggrin:

oooh, Matron!:ohmy:

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
Has anyone read Thunder and Lightnings? Kids book by Jan Mark...
I knew Jan Mark when she was just becoming famous! She was married to a good friend of mine at work - this was my first job, back in about 1976, at the Norwich Union. They lived with their two lovely children in a very out-of-the-way place on the Norfolk coast, and were keen on all the things I like: classical music (played on his homebuilt speakers, and I've never heard anything better), modern literature, good food, drink... One chilly Saturday evening I went there from Norwich for dinner, in a friend's elderly Rover. We were very well wined and dined on homemade pizza. On the way home, well after midnight, the car broke down in the by then intense cold (much colder, I reckon, than it would get nowadays) and we had to walk/jog the last 4 miles into Norwich dressed only in light jackets... we nearly died of exposure!

And then I was daft enough to buy the car - the folly of youth, eh? ;)

I used to do Airfix models to first one I did was a spitfire, the problem I had was with the little window when I glued then onto the plane I got the glue everywhere

Top Bottom