Airzound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
How much 'shite' do you need on a bike...cluttered with that lot ? I'd be too tempted to use something like that too often, seeing folk jump out of their skin and stuff...
I don't think I'd ever use one. I've got a voice that goes with me everywhere. Works perfectly well and doesn't need recharging etc.

domtyler

Über Member
fossyant said:
How much 'shite' do you need on a bike...cluttered with that lot ? I'd be too tempted to use something like that too often, seeing folk jump out of their skin and stuff...

I have the two extremes in my stable, my winter bike I whack everything going on there, front and rear racks, full guards, AirZound, child seat, the lot. Weighs a feckin tonne! Summer, is lightweight Dolan fixie.

It's like a bit of a challenge to see how much stuff I can get on there at the moment! ;)

Cab

Indeed, they're massively too loud to use on pedestrians! But when you're trying to attract the attention of a metal clad lout with 'boom boom boom boom...' bellowing out of his vehicle then its spot on.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use my voice, but i have thought about putting one on the fixed when it gets set up.
Its surprising how loud my voice and go when i get frustrated by an idiot, unfortunatly sometimes i end up shouting more the 'Oi'.
I had one of those megahorns which was electric. Not that loud, abit louder then a car horn i think and i'm not sure if it was ever heard, but the rubber strap broke on the switch and was crap ever since then. The noise was abit naff aswell. Not on the racer because the handle bars would be too cluttered.

Wolf04

domtyler said:
Same happened to mine a while ago, it was the air hose that had got trapped somewhere, I fiddled and it came back to life. Check the hose all the way along, you never know.
Hurrah fixed it! I owe you a drink Dom! Having a day off recovering from a very late night (Chuck Prophet rocks) so thought I'd have a go. Got a helpful Email from the manufacturer suggesting that it was probably dirt on the membrane and suggested first to rotate the back cover a quarter turn in either direction to dislodge the dirt, or to dismantle and check. Didn't solve the problem but your suggestion was spot on and again it was the cam lock. I'm going to replace it with double sided sticky tape.
Now where is the Alka Seltzer.

domtyler

Über Member
Wolf04 said:
Hurrah fixed it! I owe you a drink Dom! Having a day off recovering from a very late night (Chuck Prophet rocks) so thought I'd have a go. Got a helpful Email from the manufacturer suggesting that it was probably dirt on the membrane and suggested first to rotate the back cover a quarter turn in either direction to dislodge the dirt, or to dismantle and check. Didn't solve the problem but your suggestion was spot on and again it was the cam lock. I'm going to replace it with double sided sticky tape.
Now where is the Alka Seltzer.

Glad you fixed it Wolf! ;)

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I've no argument with your braking technique, Pete, I was just surprised to see you rule out the possibility of beeping as well as doing that. I'm guessing you ride with drops, right?

On my 'bent, or probably any flat barred bike, you should be able to set up the airzound so you can emergency brake properly and beep at the same time.

I think most would need to practice at that,as when stopping hard,your concentrating on just that,more of a natural reflex than a thought about thing?If you witness a car breaking hard,the horn normally comes after its stopped,because of the same reason,too tied up thinking about stopping,and its easier to hit the horn in a car i think?So might be worth doing a little practicing first?

Wolf04

col said:
I think most would need to practice at that,as when stopping hard,your concentrating on just that,more of a natural reflex than a thought about thing?If you witness a car breaking hard,the horn normally comes after its stopped,because of the same reason,too tied up thinking about stopping,and its easier to hit the horn in a car i think?So might be worth doing a little practicing first?
Still can't do this! I think I must be missing something. My Airzound is right next to the left brake lever but when using the forefingers to apply the brake the thumb is wrapped around the bar, what exactly to you sound the horn with?
Obviously when only using one brake it's not a problem.

col

Legendary Member
Wolf04 said:
Still can't do this! I think I must be missing something. My Airzound is right next to the left brake lever but when using the forefingers to apply the brake the thumb is wrapped around the bar, what exactly to you sound the horn with?
Obviously when only using one brake it's not a problem.

Maybe the button could be mounted underneath,where your thumb is?might be more workable then?Then you might automatically hit the button as your thumb goes under while breaking,?And under the rear break could help too,as most stopping is done with the front?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, a little practice might help, but it's not exactly the most difficult skill. I rarely emergency brake because good cycle craft expects us to be aware of other traffic and their likely behaviour. Thus most of the incidents on my video I've only needed to slow down gradually, with the exception of the nearly over the bonnet clip.

The times I do need to emergency brake are mostly due to me being impatient and in a hurry, and not allowing enough of a safety zone. Still get the airzound on though.

I can't see your example with hooting in the car - I don't have a problem with that either. Oh, and I probably wouldn't hoot after braking, because the reason for hooting has gone by then and you're not supposed to hoot in retribution.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Yes, a little practice might help, but it's not exactly the most difficult skill. I rarely emergency brake because good cycle craft expects us to be aware of other traffic and their likely behaviour. Thus most of the incidents on my video I've only needed to slow down gradually, with the exception of the nearly over the bonnet clip.

The times I do need to emergency brake are mostly due to me being impatient and in a hurry, and not allowing enough of a safety zone. Still get the airzound on though.

I can't see your example with hooting in the car - I don't have a problem with that either. Oh, and I probably wouldn't hoot after braking, because the reason for hooting has gone by then and you're not supposed to hoot in retribution.

Your right,but they do dont they?;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Perhaps the inability to hoot and brake at the same time is related to their inability to think and plan ahead? LOL!

I can't see any of you guys having a problem with using an airzound and both brakes in the situations I manage it. I'm not exactly special or overly co-ordinated.

Top Bottom