aldi cycling stuff on sale next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, I like the track mits - been using them every day - comfy, well worth the cash and seem robust.

The track pump isn't up to the quality of my 20 year old silca one, but it works, although I pulled the top stopper off it...so needed to put the thing together............Bit fiddly getting used to fitting to Schrider valve fitting (reason I bought it) as my silca one just does presta. Pumped up my son's 20" mtb tyre fast, and it's not going to be used for 110 psi on the road bikes, so for £5 will do the job !!!

Brock

The beauty of Aldi stuff is that you sort of expect it to be crap, occasionally it isn't, and that makes you happy. If you fork out 60 quid for a decent name jacket, and the zip breaks, it makes you unhappy, and the fact that you can return it doesn't really help with the fact that you paid for quality and reliability and now you have to return the bloody thing.
If paying more meant you always got a perfectly cut long lasting carefully made faultless garment then I'd be more inclined to agree, it's all too often not like that though. Anyway, some of us need clothes of an unusual cut!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I usually buy some of the Decathlon stuff - 2 year guarantee - and it works - my winter jacket zip failed - shop couldn't help as I had no receipt (pre me getting a rewards card where you don't need to keep your receipt) but customer services sent me a voucher to cover the cost..... can't complain with a 2 year no quibble g'tee............

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
Fair enough if you actually like aldi stuff, but I guess a lot of people just battle on with it because they are addicted to 'getting a bargain' - rather than because they actually find it 'good value for money'.
For me, the time wasted taking faulty stuff back just makes it not worth getting it in the first place.
The money wasted on stuff that isn't even worth taking back or can't be taken back takes away any element of 'cheep and cheerful'.
I'd rather get to work earlier and get more work done than have to battle with a dodgy zip or get so waterlogged I'm cold and slow down. That, and the number of wasted trips when you don't find what you're looking for wasting even more time, then going by the time is money theory, dilutes the 'good value' aspect even more.

So you've expressed your opinion, lets actually quantify it Bonj. I'm curious as to what experience you have of their products. I think this list effectively covers the points in your post above:

1.What have you bought
2 how much of it worked, but you didn't like or didn't fit?
3 What have you taken back as faulty?
4 What have you bought that was faulty but not worth taking back?
5 How many rides have been spoilt by 'dodgy' Aldi goods.

For me:
1 Windproof jacket
2 LS tops
2 pairs glasses
2 pairs shorts with pad
and the overshoes and thin neoprene cap pack they did last autumn

All fit well with no technical probs.

bonj2

gambatte said:
So you've expressed your opinion, lets actually quantify it Bonj. I'm curious as to what experience you have of their products. I think this list effectively covers the points in your post above:

1.What have you bought (1) a jacket, (2) a pump, (3) a water bottle, (4) padded undershorts. To name a few, probably more but can't think of them off the top of my head.
2 how much of it worked, but you didn't like or didn't fit? (4).
3 What have you taken back as faulty? (1)
4 What have you bought that was faulty but not worth taking back? (2)
5 How many rides have been spoilt by 'dodgy' Aldi goods. iirc 1, where the pump handle fell off and thus it was just the metal rod and impossible to pump it, and a few more not so much spoilt but made slightly more miserable than need be by the dodgy-zipped, unwaterproof, jacket.
(3) is great i might add, but there's not that many ways you can go wrong on that...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I can see why you've got a downer on them.

Clothings all I've had from there. Working on the car, I've had too many cheese spanners to warn me off budget tooling. No problem getting that side from Decathlon.(Workstand, crankpuller, cassette tool, CO2 pump, SPDs etc.)

Was the jacket the Neoprene type thing they were flogging last autumn?

bonj2

gambatte said:
I can see why you've got a downer on them.

Clothings all I've had from there. Working on the car, I've had too many cheese spanners to warn me off budget tooling. No problem getting that side from Decathlon.(Workstand, crankpuller, cassette tool, CO2 pump, SPDs etc.)

Was the jacket the Neoprene type thing they were flogging last autumn?
I don't know but i was given it (presumably 'cos the person who gave it me thought it was shite) and I took it back on the grounds of having a faulty zip. I was a bit pissed off that i even bothered when they only gave me SIX quid for it. Didn't quibble about not having the receipt though.
Bonj

how did the water bottle not work?
What was wrong with the water bottle?
There's nothing wrong with it - that was the only thing that DID work. and still does. BUt, like I say - how hard can it be to cock up a water bottle?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
I don't know but i was given it (presumably 'cos the person who gave it me thought it was shite) and I took it back on the grounds of having a faulty zip.

Question:

If you'd walked into Aldi and seen that jacket, tried it on - would you have bought it?

bonj2

gambatte said:
Question:

If you'd walked into Aldi and seen that jacket, tried it on - would you have bought it?

If I didn't already have a jacket, and wanted one, and if I wasn't in my current phase of regarding aldi stuff as crap, then possibly yes.

Top Bottom