Aldi v Colin the Caterpillar

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
M&S are suing Aldi for their copy version of the cake.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-56768197
Lidl and Aldi are very good at producing products that look and taste almost identical.
It is clearly copying and pushing the limits of trade mark legislation but is it fair to the original brand owners?

This article is interesting and cites the recent Brewdog Punk IPA copy but they decided not to sue instead they made a marketing campaign around it.

https://thorn.beer/skirting-trademarks-lessons-from-aldi/

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Im not sure how far M and S will get.

Sure, the cake is an unashamed rip off, but Marks have to prove this has caused a detriment to their business, and it seems highly unlikely to me that aldi shoppers would regularly frequent Marks. They operate in a different segment of the sector altogether.

And then theres the publicity Angle. Aldi are doubtless loving it as shoppers now visit their stores in response to this.

I think its going to turn into a sizeable own goal for M and S.

There seems to be a world of lookalike products in Lidl and Aldi. After 8 mint identikit packaging, should call them after 7:30, gravy granules in packaging that without the aid of spectacles looks to me like Bisto.
I guess its sometimes down to how much you are prepared to spend on lawyers to protect your brand. I recall a man I knew who brewed beer for a living, he made an Irish stout and named it "Guiltless". He garnered much publicity as well as an attack from an army of Britain's finest lawyers.
Here is what all that lawyer money distills down to: https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-decision-results/o32499.pdf

Last edited:
It seems ironic when M&S have been sued in the past for ripping off things like clothes designs.
Pot, kettle, black? Ah but its a different shade of black your honour.

I dunno. I live in Tinytown where we have a choice of two supermarkets only - Lidl and M&S foodhall. Nothing in between on the scale of “common to posh”. Most people I know frequent both.
They always do. In my hometown in Blight there is a Waitrose 2 minutes drive from an Aldi. I used to see the same Bentleys and German tanks in both car parks.
Only the insane would buy bottled water from Waitrose unless its the Pellegrino for impressing guests. Likewise the bog roll.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I must be the only person in the world who hadn't heard of Colin till yesterday. I suppose that makes good PR for M&S but I never buy their food anyway - it's over hyped, over priced and no better than anyone else's.

I'm a big ALDI fan. No nonsense, this is what we have, buy what you need and go. My sort of shopping.

I once got caught out by the ALDI Sun Valley butter then I cottoned on to the game. It's great fun. Nordpak v Lurpak is a current goodie!

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
I dunno. I live in Tinytown where we have a choice of two supermarkets only - Lidl and M&S foodhall. Nothing in between on the scale of “common to posh”. Most people I know frequent both.
Theres a reason for this. You need peasants to clean the manse, polish the Rolls, etc, but the middle class are simple time wasting embuggerance - too posh to do the menial work but not posh enough to ride with the hunt. Best place for them is someone elses town.

Top Bottom