Aldi v Colin the Caterpillar

dodgy

Legendary Member
Did M&S innovate the caterpillar cake? Was it a result of their R&D department coming up with a unique idea?? :rolleyes:
Not sure why you’ve chosen to be such an arse.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apparently so. 30 years ago.
Unless Aldi got there first with the Raupentorte before really even arriving in the UK? ;)
Certainly your loyalty to your employer is cool tho
On that basis my mother got their first, I remember a variety of caterpillar / turd birthday cakes as a lad as a swiss roll was a staple for us.

vickster

Legendary Member
On that basis my mother got their first, I remember a variety of caterpillar / turd birthday cakes as a lad as a swiss roll was a staple for us.
Yes but she presumably didn’t decorate, brand and market it, assuming you mean there and not their (meaning ?)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A loyal Aldi employee
I may be an Aldi employee but this is nowt to do with loyalty. How many guitar manufacturers make guitars that look very similar to CF Martin's innovative acoustic guitar, or Gibson's Les Paul, or Fender's Strat??? Copying the competition is nothing new and is certainly not unique to Aldi.

You're clearly very loyal to M&S :whistle:

Moodyman

Guru
All supermarkets copy each other when sourcing own brand products. In many cases they go the same suppliers.

M&S are no exception. The only difference is the suppliers may make small adjustments at the behest of the supermarket to appeal to their customers.

I once worked at a sauce and condiments factory and they made the same product for all supermarkets - only changing the bottling and labels.

Except M&S. For M&S, they had a specific production line and the sauces were made to their specification.

I think Aldi have played a masterstroke with the cheeky social media action.

Moodyman

Guru
"It's not just food, this is M&S food".

Thing is, pretentious middle Englanders fall for this codswallop and if you point it out to them, you hurt their sensitivities.

vickster

Legendary Member
I may be an Aldi employee but this is nowt to do with loyalty. How many guitar manufacturers make guitars that look very similar to CF Martin's innovative acoustic guitar, or Gibson's Les Paul, or Fender's Strat??? Copying the competition is nothing new and is certainly not unique to Aldi.

You're clearly very loyal to M&S :whistle:
No idea what you’re talking about when it comes to guitars I’m afraid.
I’m not at all loyal to M&S or indeed any supermarket (I go to different ones depending on what I want to buy), but I’m not keen on blatant rip offs being denied, just be honest and say so...in any industry

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No idea what you’re talking about when it comes to guitars I’m afraid.
I’m not at all loyal to M&S or indeed any supermarket (I go to different ones depending on what I want to buy), but I’m not keen on blatant rip offs being denied, just be honest and say so...in any industry
OK, what about bikes... are all the manufactures ripping each other off when they all make a road bike, or an MTB, or a shopper?

why can't some people just admit that it's rather normal behaviour... in any industry?

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
"It's not just food, this is M&S food".

Thing is, pretentious middle Englanders fall for this codswallop and if you point it out to them, you hurt their sensitivities.
It's true though. You've mentioned it in your previous post. @gbb supplies M&S and says they get the best ingredients, I have experience from a microbiology and quality perspective. It simply is better quality food.

dodgy

Legendary Member
No doubt whatsoever that M&S food is a step above the other supermarkets in quality. I don't feel the need to prove this, so feel free to ignore it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Moodyman

Guru
No doubt whatsoever that M&S food is a step above the other supermarkets in quality. I don't feel the need to prove this, so feel free to ignore it 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree. However, I was alluding to the fact they don't just have customers, they have a strong fan base who won't hear a bad word against "their" M&S.

Pre-pandemic I worked at a large office park. Over the road is a large shopping centre with an M&S food hall. One could tell it was payday by the number of office workers who'd be walking back to the office with a green M&S lunch bag.

I admire M&S and their place in the British culture. However, I fear the caterpillar saga has possibly backfired. Or, it could be a carefully planned marketing ploy to get everyone talking in which case, I applaud.

Top Bottom