Aldi v Colin the Caterpillar

stephec

Legendary Member
M+S cakes are rather delicious, I used to visit a factory where they were made as part of my job and you would always try to time your visit with the staff shop opening times.

Colins were 50p in there whilst they were around a fiver in the shops, spending around £6 would see you leaving with two carrier bags full.

gbb

Legendary Member
And at 50p no doubt there was a touch of profit still
There may be, there may not. Food production has changed immensely and is still changing, margins are pared away to the n'th degree, theres no room anymore for small producers who cannot scale up , look around and all you see are mega factories and buildings, they're (my employer too) swallowing up order after order, squeezing all the small producers out of business, high volume, low margin is what drives everything now. Not a good thing, but I think that's the reality, my employers are a Spanish comapny and within 5 years they've become possibly the biggest supplier of flowers, citrus and grape to the entire supermarket industry...and you will never have heard of them. They dont even make much profit, the drive to reduce cost is relentless. The supermarkets demand it.
Its brutal out there, certainly in my industry anyway,

stephec

Legendary Member
There may be, there may not. Food production has changed immensely and is still changing, margins are pared away to the n'th degree, theres no room anymore for small producers who cannot scale up , look around and all you see are mega factories and buildings, they're (my employer too) swallowing up order after order, squeezing all the small producers out of business, high volume, low margin is what drives everything now. Not a good thing, but I think that's the reality, my employers are a Spanish comapny and within 5 years they've become possibly the biggest supplier of flowers, citrus and grape to the entire supermarket industry...and you will never have heard of them. They dont even make much profit, the drive to reduce cost is relentless. The supermarkets demand it.
Its brutal out there, certainly in my industry anyway,
I'm in food factories everyday and I'm struggling to think of who you might work for.

Mind you I don't get down your way anymore, there was a time when I was up and down the A47 and A17 regularly .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Totally agree. However, I was alluding to the fact they don't just have customers, they have a strong fan base who won't hear a bad word against "their" M&S.

Pre-pandemic I worked at a large office park. Over the road is a large shopping centre with an M&S food hall. One could tell it was payday by the number of office workers who'd be walking back to the office with a green M&S lunch bag.

I admire M&S and their place in the British culture. However, I fear the caterpillar saga has possibly backfired. Or, it could be a carefully planned marketing ploy to get everyone talking in which case, I applaud.
Totally agree. However, I was alluding to the fact they don't just have customers, they have a strong fan base who won't hear a bad word against "their" M&S.

Pre-pandemic I worked at a large office park. Over the road is a large shopping centre with an M&S food hall. One could tell it was payday by the number of office workers who'd be walking back to the office with a green M&S lunch bag.

I admire M&S and their place in the British culture. However, I fear the caterpillar saga has possibly backfired. Or, it could be a carefully planned marketing ploy to get everyone talking in which case, I applaud.
I suspect it's backfired badly and they may be regretting their decision to have a day in court with Aldi

Of course they will win the case but who knows what damages given Aldi and practically every other supermarket has been selling Colin knock offs for years without M&S saying a word.

Aldi's social media response has been first class and has made M&S look slow and old fashioned

vickster

Legendary Member
:hungry:

M+S cakes are rather delicious, I used to visit a factory where they were made as part of my job and you would always try to time your visit with the staff shop opening times.

Colins were 50p in there whilst they were around a fiver in the shops, spending around £6 would see you leaving with two carrier bags full.
It depends which cakes. It could have changed, but I've seen the same product go into different boxes for different retailers, and the only difference was the packaging and the price.

stephec

Legendary Member
It depends which cakes. It could have changed, but I've seen the same product go into different boxes for different retailers, and the only difference was the packaging and the price.
This factory is a bakery that produces for M+S only, I know of other similar places that only do M+S, but also big brands that do their own label stuff as well as making for M+S.

What kind of products are you talking about?

This factory is a bakery that produces for M+S only, I know of other similar places that only do M+S, but also big brands that do their own label stuff as well as making for M+S.

What kind of products are you talking about?
Cakes. I also know of other people in the food industry that make similar claims for their products. I've not witnessed that myself, but I've no reason to doubt them.

Top Bottom