Aldi v Colin the Caterpillar

When I was a youngster my aunt used to work in a factory producing chocolate biscuits for M&S and other companies. She used to give me bags of broken biscuits that staff were allowed to take home for pennies. Amazing how many biscuits got broken by those lucky workers.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
For anyone who’s battled through to the 4th book of the Dune series, do you think Colin the Caterpillar might have been inspired by Leto II, God Emperor of Dune? Just me?

Edwardoka

Serene Doge
For anyone who’s battled through to the 4th book of the Dune series, do you think Colin the Caterpillar might have been inspired by Leto II, God Emperor of Dune? Just me?
I had to google it but judging from the description, yes, "sandworm with a human face" would be an apt description of Colin the Caterpillar.

They've always been on my will-read-one-day list, have never gotten round to it. All the backstory I know has come from the Amiga games roughly set in that universe.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I suspect it's backfired badly and they may be regretting their decision to have a day in court with Aldi

in terms of advertising i think it's money well spent for M&S whatever the outcome. The story has featured in the tabloid press and has been doing the rounds on social media for weeks and even a bunch of cyclists have been getting in on the act. All publicity is good publicity ;)

Aha. "But Siiir - he did it too!"

Always a convincing defence, especially in a court of law.
Except it wasn't in a court of law, it was just Aldi taking the piss out of M&S.

Except it wasn't in a court of law, it was just Aldi taking the piss out of M&S.
Oh of course. But this is business - M&S don't care about getting mocked on social media.

There is a court case in the offing, so everything else is just noise really. To ME it seems a pretty feeble piss-take, as they're a business too - that's why they produced these cakes at all - so the school-kid level of insult just seems ... well, childish! Each to his own ...

Last edited:
Oh of course. But this is business - M&S don't care about getting mocked on social media.

There is a court case in the offing, so everything else is just noise really. To ME it seems a pretty feeble piss-take, as they're a business too - that's why they produced these cakes at all - so the school-kid level of insult just seems ... well, childish! Each to his own ...
Every business cares about mockery on social media. including M&S.

Their customers use social media.

Well sure - hey, I'm here on social media, discussing both chains (and I use both). But I find that post a bit feeble and childish; whereas you like it, perhaps feeling that they pwned someone, or something. I guess we will have to disagree on that aspect.
Did I say I liked it? Where, or did you just make that bit up?

You accept it was a piss-take so what do you disagree with in my post?

Top Bottom