Alternative for Ambrosio wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
After my recent encouter with a mini cab, I need to get a new set of wheels.

The wheels I'm replacing are a set of Ambrosio rims which are just labelled Bianchi Componeti, which I guess are just the standard wheels supplied with most Bianchis.

I was happy with them, as they lasted a year without any problems (were probably due for a "truing"), but were no match for a car.

I need a nice strong set of wheels to cope with the wonderful London road on a daily basis.

I think I'm swayed towards the Mavic Aksiums which I've read lots of good reviews on, but would these be as good as the Ambrosios?

I'll have upto £200 to spend on the wheels, and I've seen the Mavics for around £130.

domtyler

Über Member
Aksiums would make pretty good commuting wheels, but better would be a set of hand builts. Mavic CXP22/33 rims maybe? Probably end up with a wheelset that was significantly stronger and lighter than the Aksiums.

stephec

Legendary Member
If you're going for handbuilts the wheels will only be strong if the wheelbuilder does his job properly. Open pro's are a nice lightweight rim, I've bounced a pair over the Bolton/Manchester potholes without any problems.

You should find a pair of these for under £200.

domtyler

Über Member
Good point, mine were made up by Harry Rowland who has a good reputation in the industry.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
I think I've decided on the hand built option.

I've swayed towards the Mavic CPX33 with Tiagra hubs, as I've seen lots of good reveiws on both and I prefer the deeper profile of the CPX to the open pro. Purely for cosmetic reasons, but I think they should also be stronger.

I've found them cheap on Ribble

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CSNAWHHR340000000000

Does anyone have any experiance of dealing with Ribble for their wheels?

Also is there a lot of difference between 32 and 36 spoke wheels? Surely 4 spokes can't be that important considering a lot of the factory ones come with 20.
Should I go 36 rear and 34 front, or just 34 (should say 32) all round?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
redjedi said:
I think I've decided on the hand built option.

I've swayed towards the Mavic CPX33 with Tiagra hubs, as I've seen lots of good reveiws on both and I prefer the deeper profile of the CPX to the open pro. Purely for cosmetic reasons, but I think they should also be stronger.

I've found them cheap on Ribble

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CSNAWHHR340000000000

Does anyone have any experiance of dealing with Ribble for their wheels?

Also is there a lot of difference between 32 and 36 spoke wheels? Surely 4 spokes can't be that important considering a lot of the factory ones come with 20.
Should I go 36 rear and 34 front, or just 34 all round?

The more spokes the stonger the wheel and double butted spokes are the best. I have not used ribble however have read very differing views on here about them.

Top Bottom