Am I riding the correct type of bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanH

Took up commuting to work last Summer - so purchased a cheap, used £40 mountain bike from eBay.
Half-a-year on, I'm thinking this MB is just too heavy and sluggish for my liking.

So what SHOULD I be using?
- It's a 5-mile journey.
- I encounter a mixture of road, cycle path (some of which involve bumping up curbs), and a park-based trail path.
- No major climbs or drops.

Your thoughts?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Now lets get ready for the barrage of comments on hybrids, drop bars, MTB's and BSO's

:popcorn:

Personally for work i use a FELT qx65 Hybrid with low gearing, slick tyres and v brakes - my round trip is 30 miles and goes from 400ft ASL to 1200ft ASL so i climb a fair distance uphill going home. I also use a cycle track that has lots of glass, bottles, branches etc on it and wouldn't feel comfortable riding my RACING bike on it.

OP
OP
DanH

DanH

Hopefully a positive barrage!!

I also encounter a great deal of junk on my journey - I have to work my way across a major traffic island. Not ideal.

OP
OP
DanH

DanH

No weekends. Not major offroading - just the commute, which takes in the types of surface previously mentioned.

As for price - as low as possible!! I'll probably get back on Ebay and see what pops up over the next month or so.

I'm just looking for a "type" of bike, rather than anything specific. If MTB is the best option for me, then fair enough. I've considered a Road Bike, but it really doesn't seem suited to my route.

I'll start the barrage off.
Quick and relatively cheap, put road tyres (no nobbles) on your mtb, if you have suspension forks lock, them out.
A hybrid will provide a faster ride but it covers a broad spectrum from mtb orientated hybrids to flat bar road bikes, from what you describe you'll probably want something more mtb orientated.
Road bikes are most efficient IMO but more likely you'll want to change your route, concentrate on roads and avoid curb jumping.
Whatever you go for you try to avoid curb jumping anyway it just knackers your wheels.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think you need this 24k gold fixed gear bike with swarovski diamonds.
aurumania_gold_bike_02.jpg

Attachments

• aurumania_gold_bike_02.jpg
    aurumania_gold_bike_02.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 18

calibanzwei

To make it easier for the commute, aim for 700x32/35 wheels, although you could just throw some slicks on your current MTB.
I use a Dawes Discovery 201 - not the lightest, but I can maintain a decent 18mph average, and the pannier racks are useful for loading up the camping gear when I head to the hills.

OP
OP
DanH

DanH

Thank HLaB - fairly insightful to someone who knows fairly little in the cycling area. Most appreciated!

D

Deleted member 1258

Now lets get ready for the barrage of comments on hybrids, drop bars, MTB's and BSO's

:popcorn:

Personally for work i use a FELT qx65 Hybrid with low gearing, slick tyres and v brakes - my round trip is 30 miles and goes from 400ft ASL to 1200ft ASL so i climb a fair distance uphill going home. I also use a cycle track that has lots of glass, bottles, branches etc on it and wouldn't feel comfortable riding my RACING bike on it.

You forgot to mention fixed ^_^ , I commute 6.5 miles each way on a Pearson fixed wheel, Sounds like a Hybrid would suite the OP

OP
OP
DanH

DanH

Dave - tell me more about fixed, if you will! I only discovered them this morning :smile:

Hybrid does seem to be the best option. Thanks for the confirmation.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave - tell me more about fixed, if you will! I only discovered them this morning :smile:

Hybrid does seem to be the best option. Thanks for the confirmation.

Fixed Wheel = one gear no freewheel, as long as the bike is moving you have to pedal, on a climb you pedal very slowly and walk if it gets to steep for your gearing, on a descent you spin the pedals very fast, thats the basics.

SP_A0096.jpg

calibanzwei

...or single speed (SS) - (usually) flip the rear wheel round, still have the one gear and be able to freewheel when you want.
I started cycling on my brothers SS Charge Plug - its given me the legs I have today :biggrin:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another vote here for changing tyres - If you're looking for a cheap option this is well worth doing. I too have a cheap mountain bike which I use as a runabout and with Continental TourRides on it I'm 3mph faster on average compared to the old tyres and the bike is nicer to ride.

3mph might not sound like much but on your trip that would mean arriving nearly 10 minutes quicker.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom