Amsterdam and then where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
OK, so I'm thinking of taking my bike to Holland in August. I can easily get a ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam.

I'd plan to stay for about five days. So where should I think about going? I'm assuming that all of Holland is great for cycling (except perhaps windy near the coast?). I have no burning desire to see any particular place or thing. I prefer nature and wildlife to cities and shops but wouldn't mind seeing historical stuff.

I suppose the options are to base myself in one place and ride out daily or tour staying in different places each night. I don't plan to camp and would be staying at guesthouses or hotels.

I should be able to ride about 25-30 miles per day.

So any suggestions for an area to explore? And then I can start looking at the maps a bit more closely.

Thanks!!

Altus

Regular
Delft is nice little town with nice market square in Holland.

I love the cities through Belgium (Ghent is probably my favorite so would probably look to take the train towards Oosterschelde then cycle into Belgium) Then look at doing cycling in Belgium - Netherlands - Germany as all close to one and another and all have good rail networks.

If you can loop down then back up via the LF1 coast path, you'll hit some absolutely lovely cycling and should have the prevailing wind at your back along there. You should be able to do 25-30 miles with no problems at all - I managed 60 for 3 days and while I do FNRttCs and such, I'm not the fittest, and certainly not the slimmest.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
One place I've always wanted to visit is Baarle Nassau in the south of the country. It is a Dutch town but with a bunch of Belgian territories or exclaves within Dutch territory. Some of the exclaves have Islands of Dutch territory within them! In some streets, the only way you can tell which country a house is in is by the flag on its door. It must have been chaos before the Yoyo in the days of the Belgian Franc and Dutch Guilder. All in all very confusing but intreaguing and I'd love to cycle there some day!

snorri

Legendary Member
When you get to Amsterdam you must find the Koningsplein and wave to us via the Terena webcam^_^
http://www.terena.org/webcam/
Tell us when you will be there and remember the one hour time difference.
Some things to consider..
The Flying Ferry from Ijmuiden into central Amsterdam. Enkhuizen, ancient city with ferry across the Ijsselmeer to fishing port of Urk. Leiden university town, linked with Pilgrim Fathers. Windmills at Kinderdijk, world heritage site. Den Helder and ferry over to island of Texel.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Can I suggest you up your daily distance? 25 -30 miles is at the very most two hours' cycling in Holland. For countryside head north from IJmuiden and, as snorri said, get a ferry to the island of Texel. Beware that accommodation will be at a premium in August. Alternatively, from Den Helder (whence the boat to Texel) cycle across the Afsluitdijk and then south along the eastern side of the IJsselmeer (signposted all the way as the Zuider Zee Route) to Urk and get the ferry to Enkhuizen. Thence a day's cycle to Amsterdam.
For towns, history, &c. an itinerary of Haarlem, along the LF1 coastal route, Lisse (for bulb fields), Leiden, Gouda, The Hague, Delft and back to Amsterdam by train would be very doable in five days. Pack your bathers, Holland has some excellent beaches.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking all these places up on the map.

I'm not sure about upping the daily distance, Alan. Not sure what my legs can cope with on a daily basis!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The distance you travel is not important. It is what you see when you get there and my top tip is talk to people. It is surprising what doors open when you talk to people.

Steve

It sounds a great ride. I have just returned from mid Nederlands and it is beautiful. I agree with Steve it is the people they really are great. The wind yes - take some good wind/waterproofs.

Your best bet is to buy a zuid-Holland midden op de fiets map (€6.50) from the 1st tourist info you get to. It shows you the cycle route and numbering system,(which is not logical) campsites, windmills, flower gdns etc. If you want to go further inland Lisse is pleasent this takes you down past the lakes (Kaag) where there are windmills all round. It is beautiful. This then takes you down to Leiden another lovely small town where the pilgrim fathers came from before they left from England on the mayflower. From there to Delft or Gouda which ever you prefer and beyond. The green routes are the prettiest but take you a slightly longer.

If you want to stay away from town completely i have been told that the part near germany is forested and has exceptional views. Maybe Google maps can show you.

I love the cycle routes in Holland. The country is fantastic, clean, friendly, and I found it difficult to remember to get back on the ferry! I am sure time goes quicker there than here - but I am now planning my next tour at a slightly better time of year (weather wise).

For where to stay: Frienden op de fiets is a good option.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Nearly all Dutch cities and towns are charming: Zwolle, Utrecht and Maastricht spring to mind. The thing to remember about Holland is that the wind can be a real bugger, so if you are relaxed about where you end up every afternoon, check out the weather forecast and go in the direction the wind is blowing: you'll go further than otherwise and without grinding your teeth in frustration. You can always use the excellent railways for going against the wind.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Last September we bought train tickets to Ede-Wageningen at the station in Amsterdam and took the bikes with us. It's about an hour. At Ede we cycled off into the Hoge Veluwe National Park and ended up at the Kroller-Muller Museum. It has a quite extensive art and sculpture collection and the building itself is fun. There's a good restaurant/cafe nearby. If you like that sort of thing, it's a good day out. The trains in Holland are not expensive and taking the bike along is a doddle. BTW, as others have said, finding somewhere reasonable to stay in Amsterdam can be a bit of a challenge. The Hotel Van Onna's a good deal and quite central, but you really must book well in advance.

Have a great time.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks everyone. I was getting quite excited about this but I've just agreed to a new piece of work and it looks like I won't be able to fit in a holiday this summer :sad:

I'll just have to spend more time planning a trip in 2013!

Top Bottom