Amy Winehouse - Norwegians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The One That Got Away

Everywhere I look it feels like people are more bothered about the death of Amy Winehouse who did yes waste talent and life but

how about the 92?93?94? Norwegians who have died,

I'm certain there's much more talent gone to waste there as most of the dead were innocent youths
I just feel its wrong someone who devoted her life to drink and drugs (her choice) appears to me important
While these people did nothing to deserve there fate

All of this is sad, I hate how the bad seems to outweigh the good and people lose and waste there lives because of a certain few or certain things

Rant over . . . . . .

I think you're misreading it. It's relatively simple to identify with one death, quite another to get your head around what's happened in Norway, I feel sad that Amy Winehouse is dead but sad doesn't even remotely cover the horror I feel at the deaths in Norway, besides, one doesn't lessen the other, we are not measuring worth of deaths or offering judgement on them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think you're misreading it. It's relatively simple to identify with one death, quite another to get your head around what's happened in Norway, I feel sad that Amy Winehouse is dead but sad doesn't even remotely cover the horror I feel at the deaths in Norway, besides, one doesn't lessen the other, we are not measuring worth of deaths or offering judgement on them.

Well said!

I could post my comments about Amy Winehouse without much thought. She was talented, released two great albums and died far too young.

Norway... I've tried so many times to post a comment in the thread started by Dayvo but the small selection of buttons on my keyboard cannot even start to describe how i feel... a truly saddening and senseless loss of life.

OP
OP
T

The One That Got Away

[QUOTE 1475761"]
...yet you don't mention what's been on the news about Africa this week.

See? It's easy to read into stuff that isn't there.
[/quote]

Yes but how long has that being going on?
Ever since I remember the terrible starvation, genocides they have suffered greatly
Yes it truly saddens me even after million and million maybe millions goes to help the people but yet after all these years it still happen?
It does sicken me to say this but this has almost become usual , the way of that land, an ongoing event seeming destined to happen

Anyway I made my point as an example of how someone who isn't really worth the thought compared to innocent people of Norway, the millions in Africa, the 100's of millions or more on the planet who suffer of a cause not there own

That was more the point I was making

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
To be honest, while I understand the sentiment in the OP, I think it is a bit pointless. You could just as well say that people should be spending more time brooding over the famine in the Horn of Africa rather than on the awful incident in Norway. We can't really prescribe how people should prioritise their thinking. FWIW I think Amy Winehouse's death is a kind of run of the mill thing in her business, almost a tired cliche. For her family it is the worst imaginable tragedy. For me it is the absence of somebody who could produce music I liked. The Norwegian mess makes me angry and sad but at least with the arrest of the bloke it is over and done with except of course for the bereaved and wounded.

OTH I do think it is fair to have a go at the news media, especially the 24 hr news channels, who seem determined to do their best to turn anything they can into a kind of macabre entertainment.

OP
OP
T

The One That Got Away

To be honest, while I understand the sentiment in the OP, I think it is a bit pointless. You could just as well say that people should be spending more time brooding over the famine in the Horn of Africa rather than on the awful incident in Norway. We can't really prescribe how people should prioritise their thinking. FWIW I think Amy Winehouse's death is a kind of run of the mill thing in her business, almost a tired cliche. For her family it is the worst imaginable tragedy. For me it is the absence of somebody who could produce music I liked. The Norwegian mess makes me angry and sad but at least with the arrest of the bloke it is over and done with except of course for the bereaved and wounded.

OTH I do think it is fair to have a go at the news media, especially the 24 hr news channels, who seem determined to do their best to turn anything they can into a kind of macabre entertainment.

Yes I agree it is pointless but I felt it had to be said at the time the joys of free thinking,
It just annoys me how people not so deserving seem to steal the "headlines" There's hundreds of good people who die everyday and never get remembered guess that's just how life goes,

I have to much to say about the news I'd be here all day if I tried to speak about that

Although you say it is over and done with it wont be its just more fuel for the flame which is humanity
Apparently the shooter was far right? or linked? which does not make sense that they would kill Norwegians?
Ah its all to much for me, there will never be peace there always be conflict its just a circle of bs

OP
OP
T

The One That Got Away

1475769 said:
You expect sense from

a) Gun owners

b) People of the right

Good luck

Haha Yeh they are unpredictable and contradict there own beliefs/policies

good point

ELL

Über Member
TBH and I know a lot of people wont like this but the majority of people don't care about whats happening in Norway or Africa as its not happening to them. Amy dieing however has more of an impact on a lot of people because they bought her album. it relates to them a lot more.

I have to admit when I heard of AWs death I just didn't care and thought it was about time. No talent has been lost there what so ever, I couldn't stand her and if she wanted to treat her body the way she did then what do you expect.

At the end of the day the Amy story will sell more news papers get more hits on web site and more viewers on TV.

Some people wont like my opinion, some will agree with it. Nearly all will have to agree that they are just happy it wasnt them

TBH and I know a lot of people wont like this but the majority of people don't care about whats happening in Norway or Africa as its not happening to them. Amy dieing however has more of an impact on a lot of people because they bought her album. it relates to them a lot more.

I have to admit when I heard of AWs death I just didn't care and thought it was about time. No talent has been lost there what so ever, I couldn't stand her and if she wanted to treat her body the way she did then what do you expect.

At the end of the day the Amy story will sell more news papers get more hits on web site and more viewers on TV.

Some people wont like my opinion, some will agree with it. Nearly all will have to agree that they are just happy it wasnt them

I admit to finding nothing in what you've said that I can agree with.

So you can't agree with my opinion or that I know not everyone will feel the same?

I think you've generalised too much. I think most people will care about what's happening in Norway or Africa, what they won't do is identify with it in a way they will identify with the death of Amy Winehouse, I think the record bit is oversimplifying it.

Hate is a strong word as well, do you really hate her or merely dislike/detest. And I neither like or dislike your opinion but I don't agree with it except maybe the bit about newspapers, some newspapers, not all. As for the glad it wasn't me, it's just simply not something that went through my head, at all, which is different to feelings of empathy which I may have experienced. I hope that's a fuller answer.

ELL

Über Member
I think you've generalised too much. I think most people will care about what's happening in Norway or Africa, what they won't do is identify with it in a way they will identify with the death of Amy Winehouse, I think the record bit is oversimplifying it.

Hate is a strong word as well, do you really hate her or merely dislike/detest. And I neither like or dislike your opinion but I don't agree with it except maybe the bit about newspapers, some newspapers, not all. As for the glad it wasn't me, it's just simply not something that went through my head, at all, which is different to feelings of empathy which I may have experienced. I hope that's a fuller answer.

I think most will agree these are tragic events, but take Africa for instance. If everyone cared that much we wouldn't give a toss about the "economic down turn" and we would send all our money to them to help. As most people wont send a penny I don't think you can say they care. You cant say the government sending money makes up for it and is enough.

Also with the AW thing yes I hated her, I couldn't stand the music, honestly hated they way she abused her body and got so much publicity because of it and shes was a role model for so many young people. Now she is gone she will probably be more of an idol to a lot of people as well unfortunately.

To put in all in perspective, the death toll is less than six months road death toll in Norway or <3 weeks of UK road death toll. All equally violent and sudden deaths which have left their families and friends equally devastated but which everyone else considers just one of those things.

That is not to downplay the deaths in Norway but to highlight the lack of seriousness with which the continual toll of road deaths is taken

Top Bottom