An interesting helmet article...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Interesting.

I always wear a helmet when cycling, but never when skiing. However the recent spate of accidents to skiers has made me seriously wonder whether it's time to change.

Got to protect your head! I shocked to see the amount of kinds on their scooters/mopeds with the strap undone, bloody mad!

LondonCommuter

There was an article (in the Guardian, G2 I think) just over a week ago about how the same accident had led to a massive increase in helmet sales

Similar problem though.

Why not address the cause rather than "protect" the victim

Yet Dr Mike Langran, of the International Society for Skiing Safety, warns that wearing head protection won’t necessarily save a skier’s life. “Helmets may prevent or reduce the severity of many minor or moderate head injuries, but there is no data to support the idea that they will protect against fatal head injuries,” he said. “The absolute risk of a serious head injury is extremely small, and in my opinion — and that of most ski-injury experts — does not warrant making the wearing of ski helmets mandatory.

“The single most important thing is for skiers and boarders to ski/board within the level of their ability — don’t try speeds, slopes or tricks way beyond your ability level.”

My emphasis, but sound familiar?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nicensleazy said:
Got to protect your head! I shocked to see the amount of kinds on their scooters/mopeds with the strap undone, bloody mad!
It heartens me when I see the same thing. It's nice to know that the young are not all turning into safety obsessed wimps in spite of the attempts of the nanny state.

I was also delighted to oblige a little while ago when a couple or schoolkids asked me for a light.

Chrisz

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
It heartens me when I see the same thing. It's nice to know that the young are not all turning into safety obsessed wimps in spite of the attempts of the nanny state.

I was also delighted to oblige a little while ago when a couple or schoolkids asked me for a light.

:headshake: :biggrin: ;)

Smokin Joe said:

Some kids banged on the door of my lorry once asking for fags when I was on a night out in Bathgate. It was in the days before I smoked, but I did give them a tin of beer to share.:headshake:
Sorry, OT.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Speaking of ski slopes, there was an article a little while back about a hit and run on the piste, a fella ran into a man and killed him then just skiied off leaving his distraught daughter behind.

I think it is fair to say that people are not being responsible for their actions at times, and this goes for all walks of life not just on the piste. There again I dont ski so cant comment if helmet usage is really necessary. On the roads I certainly feel its helped me in the past.

Rhythm Thief said:
Some kids banged on the door of my lorry once asking for fags when I was on a night out in Bathgate. It was in the days before I smoked, but I did give them a tin of beer to share.:wacko:
Sorry, OT.

A night out in Bathgate.................. now that definitely needs a helmet (and body armour)!

Top Bottom