And suddenly it all went quiet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a slightly crazy week and a half, as I am sure you are all aware. In total I ended up in the Sun three times (the last one was in John Smeatons column!!), on TV twice and on radio Scotland. Oh and lets not forget I have a 'fan' website now!

I think (I hope) it was all fairly positive, well ok not positive in the sense that the incidents I was showing weren't positive, but that the press was reasonably balanced and if anything on the side of cyclists (except the Smeato stuff which I really need to scan in! :smile:)

The fact it was positive was probably down to the whim of the reporters who wrote the pieces and a little luck.

Interestingly the worst of the abusive comments I was receiving have now stopped. Now I just seem to have some bloke on youtube who keeps writing comments suggesting that I have a sexual preference for men. There would be nothing wrong with that if I did, (although my wife might find it a bit of a shock) so I can't quite understand why this chap thinks I will be offended. (I have approval set on my videos now and funnily enough I haven't approved his comments!).

Anyway, my 15 minutes (or as someone pointed out to me yesterday my 15Gb) of fame are over and now everything has gone quiet. By quiet, I mean, quiet on the roads. Since all of the publicity, I have not had one problem on the roads, all of my commutes have been nice and relaxed. Surely not everyone in Glasgow watches STV!?!?;) In fact the only incident of note was the day after the STV interview a white van driver driving the other way gave me a thumbs up as I went past! :blush::biggrin:

I'd love to think it was the interviews and articles that made a difference, however, I think now that everyone is used to the longer nights the roads are settling down again.

Anyway now that I have caught up with my e-mails and sorted out my youtube messages (and my youngest son has got over the tummy bug and cold, so I can once again get some sleep), normal magnatom service will now resume.

Thanks again to all the messages etc form everyone on here. I'm looking forward to seeing who will be next in front of the spotlight. My vote is on bonj..... :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh, I forgot to mention.

The police, who were very nice, supportive and helpful, will not be taking any action with regards to the threats to knock me off my bike (one was received personally as a PM in youtube).

Apparently because these threats were not sent via e-mail to me they are not covered under some act or other.

Of course they have taken a note of what has happened but nothing can be done at the moment.

Maybe we really do need a vigilante cyclist....;)

(FOA Sun reporters, I in no way condone anyone taking the law into their own hands. It was merely a tongue in cheek comment!)

spindrift

Apparently because these threats were not sent via e-mail to me they are not covered under some act or other.

Not true.

what about the strathycruisers death threats?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

spindrift said:

Not true.

what about the strathycruisers death threats?

Apparently as they are on an open forum, so they can't or won't be pursued. I'm not happy about that, but in reality I think the posters were just mouthing off. I don't want to stir up any more trouble by chasing it up. The abuse is back to its normal background levels and I can cope with that. Of course if things get nasty again I will take it back to the police.

I would be very surprised if the police did not keep an eye on that particular type of forum anyway.

Cab

magnatom said:

I just don't believe that. You were threatened, if the threat is credible then thats legally an assault, isn't it?

Cab

magnatom said:
I would be very surprised if the police did not keep an eye on that particular type of forum anyway.

I'll be very startled if they do. To monitor all such dubious forums would take a lot of resources.

spindrift

Making threats to kill is a serious offence. Rikki's excuse that posting your employer's address and time of commute was "just a joke" ought really to be examined by the CPS, so I've reported them.

Magantom

Glad things have calmed down for you a bit.

I have to say you have handled this whole situation with calmness and maturity which reflects well on you.

Hope their is a lasting effect on driving standards in Scotland.........though I doubt it ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good stuff, nice to hear it's all a bit calmer!

I got interviewed for German radio yesterday, will hopefully have an MP3 in a month or two. In English, luckily, since I don't speak German.

magnatom said:
Now I just seem to have some bloke on youtube who keeps writing comments suggesting that I have a sexual preference for men.

lol:biggrin: - I got told I was a “F***ing Poof” once because I complained to a 4x4 driver who barged past me when there was no room. I saw him most mornings and I cycled past his car parked in his drive way every evening – I started blowing him kisses and woolf whistling whenever I saw him – it seemed to work – he gave me loads of space from then on!

Tetedelacourse

TwickenhamCyclist said:
lol:biggrin: - I got told I was a “F***ing Poof” once because I complained to a 4x4 driver who barged past me when there was no room. I saw him most mornings and I cycled past his car parked in his drive way every evening – I started blowing him kisses and woolf whistling whenever I saw him – it seemed to work – he gave me loads of space from then on!

:smile::biggrin: I like your style!

ps ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hey Mag, what happened to all those trolls you were bringing on to the forum? Some of them started some interesting debates, as well as providing some entertainment...

Top Bottom