Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling along, I hear what I think is a toot behind (isn't picked up by the mic which faces forward). I look around and the 'chap' in the following car asks me to pull over. At a glance, it didn't seem aggressive, so I assumed he just wanted to tell me something. As I was turning right I continued my turn and stopped. Then I asked what the problem was in a friendly manner. Turns out he was an angry man. I have no idea why. Notice how he threatens to drive the car at me and verbally threatens me. Why?

(Video intentionally blurred to protect the guilty....)

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXPIXnLs6E

Maz

Guru
Gawd. I can never see utube at work. :biggrin:
Did you ever find out why he was angry, and was it something you did?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Maz said:
Gawd. I can never see utube at work. :biggrin:
Did you ever find out why he was angry, and was it something you did?

I think he was just annoyed that I was holding him up, despite the dirty great bus just ahead of me, that would have been much better at holding him up.

Maybe he misheard what I said, but you can literally see the red mist descending over his eyes. I would be tempted to go to the police with it because of the verbal threat (and the threat he made by aiming his car at me), but I'm having problems with another complaint that I made to the police (very close overtake). The police have failed to get back to me despite me phoning up twice to find out what is happening. I'm not to happy with that, especially considering the statement they made to STV. I'll be giving them a little more time......

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
What happened just before the incident though? Did anything occur off camera?

Nope. Nothing at all. Looking at earlier footage, I think I may have filtered past him, but he was a good few cars back from where I slotted in without any problems and it was a good couple of minutes before the incident. I'd post it but there really is nothing to see.

Interestingly when they pulled up beside me, I think they were going to stop, but I think the driver caught a glimpse of the camera and though better of it. The camera did its job!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually looking at the footage. I stopped at the red light. He must have been behind me. Maybe he didn't like the fact that I didn't RLJ! :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think its time to go back to the press with a "...well I followed the police's advice in the statement that they gave you, STV, but they don't seem to be interested. Go figure?" The press might consider a follow-up.

I'd be very suprised that plod would do anything about a close overtake, but they should follow up your phonecalls. As for this one, report it. He threatened to assault you.

A tactic I used once when a bus overtook me just I was about to turn right (and indicating, the tw@t nearly took my arm off) was to ring up the bus company and tell my tale without mentioning I was on a bike. The guy on the other end just assumed I was in a car and was very unimpressed with his driver. Amazing how that little detail changes people's perceptions. In this case, report it as a threatened assault, say you've got evidence on camera but, unless you're asked explicitly, don't say you were riding a bike. You were stationary anyway.

Have you thought that he might be one of your many 'admirers'?

domtyler

Über Member
That's assault. I'd have a chat with the police.

Who will quietly tell you to fuck off and stop pestering them. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo said:
I think its time to go back to the press with a "...well I followed the police's advice in the statement that they gave you, STV, but they don't seem to be interested. Go figure?" The press might consider a follow-up.

Bollo, you have read my mind! I want to give them a little more time, but going back to the press is an option. I have the reporters mobile number and she texted me after the article went out to find out what reaction I had had. She also asked me to keep her informed.

This chaps driving was certainly dangerous, he drove up onto the pavement at speed, when there were pedestrians around, he reversed in such a way forcing traffic behind him to come to a halt. He also, for a second drove his car at me, making me flinch, but he thought better of that. After he drove away he actually did a big circle to go back the way he was originally heading (I didn't quite catch that on camera). He went out of his way to have a loud word with me.

I still have my doubts about how seriously the police would take it, although this incident is more serious than my other one.

In Scots law is threatening someone considered assault?

I am also waiting for some folk on here to tell me that I in some way inflamed the situation or caused it. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Did you scratch his car or anything when you filtered by earlier? It just doesn't make sense otherwise. He was obviously pretty wound up about something and if he was in a rush he wouldn't have gone out of his way like that.

I feel we're only getting half the story here! :biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Magnatom, may I suggest either an anger management course or a course of Prozac?
"I look around and the chap in the following car asks me to pull over." The camera did not pick that up - did he gesture or shout? If he shouted then he must have a fast window winder because when he stopped his window was shut!
"Then I asked what the problem was in a friendly manner." You call that friendly?
"...he drove up onto the pavement at speed," More like a fast walking pace!
As for your mobile phone video - words fail me. You said "This chap was trying to hide the fact that he was using a mobile phone (holding it on his lap, using the speaker phone)." Where was the red arrow pointing to? That was his chest, you will find that his lap is lower down.
magnatom said:
but I'm having problems with another complaint that I made to the police (very close overtake). The police have failed to get back to me despite me phoning up twice to find out what is happening.
I wonder why? Have you ever read 'Aesop's Fables'? 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' springs to mind!
Now get a life!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Did you scratch his car or anything when you filtered by earlier? It just doesn't make sense otherwise. He was obviously pretty wound up about something and if he was in a rush he wouldn't have gone out of his way like that.

I feel we're only getting half the story here! :biggrin:

Och yer just on the wind up. :biggrin:

Seriously not a thing happened. I totally agree it doesn't make any sense at all.

Top Bottom