Annual Maintenance Costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
My Scott Sportster is about 18 months old. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be confident enough to do my own repairs, so I take it back to the shop where I bought it for all but the most minor of maintenance. Yesterday I had new brake blocks fitted at cost of £34. They were last changed in annual service about 6 months ago. He did say he was putting better quality blocks on this time, but £34 seems a bit pricey. Am I just being tight fisted.

TyT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PpPete

Legendary Member
if they were Koolstop Salmons or Swissstops that would be about £20 in materials.
Sorry, I know about shop overheads and all - but even so £14 labour to fit 4 brake blocks sounds OTT to me.

If you don't feel confident enough to do your own maintenance yet.... read up on web before the job, ask questions on here, buy a book - anything rather than go back to a shop that takes advantage like that.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've budgeted about £100 in repairs each year for the Carrera to keep it running as a winter commuter. For that I should get 50-60 commutes across the winter plus other rides totalling about 1200 miles, saving £500-600 (The Secteur is a summer commuter as well as general use bike).

Whilst there are bits I can do myself, the guys at my university's Velocampus have been great. I just need to enrol on one of their maintenance courses now ...

D

Deleted member 1258

My Scott Sportster is about 18 months old. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be confident enough to do my own repairs, so I take it back to the shop where I bought it for all but the most minor of maintenance. Yesterday I had new brake blocks fitted at cost of £34. They were last changed in annual service about 6 months ago. He did say he was putting better quality blocks on this time, but £34 seems a bit pricey. Am I just being tight fisted.

TyT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That seems a tad expensive, I would buy my Kool Stops from here http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/954/kool_stop_continental and fit myself, its a simple job.

Top Bottom